Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Sharing network connection

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1

    I also need help networking knoppix

    I have a windows xp computer and two windows ME computers I am trying to get on the network. I could not figure out why I could not get windows xp/server/me to work on the network, as in be a network server. I have given up on windows and would like to try a knoppix server, because of knoppix's increased security and stability. I would also like to add a printer to the server. Im not sure how to start and I just started today messing with knoppix. I have two old nic cards in my computer:

    3com Etherlink XL 10/100 pci card and a
    3com 3c905Tx pci card.

    I dont think there is anything wrong with the cards, and I was hopeing knoppix would automatically share the internet connection. If anyone can help me out please email me or post here. Thank you.

    Jeff

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: I also need help networking knoppix

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffr680J
    I have a windows xp computer and two windows ME computers I am trying to get on the network. I could not figure out why I could not get windows xp/server/me to work on the network, as in be a network server. I have given up on windows and would like to try a knoppix server, because of knoppix's increased security and stability. I would also like to add a printer to the server. Im not sure how to start and I just started today messing with knoppix. I have two old nic cards in my computer:

    3com Etherlink XL 10/100 pci card and a
    3com 3c905Tx pci card.

    I dont think there is anything wrong with the cards, and I was hopeing knoppix would automatically share the internet connection. If anyone can help me out please email me or post here. Thank you.

    Jeff
    Well we would need a little more information to help. Like what type of connection to the internet what equipment are you using to connect the machines, are you going to install Knoppix to the hard drive or run from CD things like that. A few links to IP Tables scripts and programs and a tutorial this is what you will need to use to accomplish your objective.

    http://rocky.molphys.leidenuniv.nl/
    http://firestarter.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.bastille-linux.org/
    http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.n...-tutorial.html

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: I also need help networking knoppix

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffr680J
    ....I dont think there is anything wrong with the cards, and I was hopeing knoppix would automatically share the internet connection.....
    Jeff
    To the best of my knowledge, knoppix will NOT automatically share the connection. You certainly can share a connection in Linux (after all, most of the current routers are Linux based), but before spending too much effort doing it the hard way (particularly if you are not certain both NICs are working) you might want to read this thread:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7020

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    14
    I think running Terminalserver should be all you need for this purpose:

    K=> KNOPPIX => Services => Start Knoppix Terminal Server.

Similar Threads

  1. Internet Connection Sharing...???
    By Jwizzman in forum Networking
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 09:52 PM
  2. connection sharing
    By tortele in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 08:53 AM
  3. Internet connection Sharing
    By Yeti in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 06:56 AM
  4. help for internet connection sharing???
    By captaincourage in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-2003, 06:01 AM
  5. internet connection sharing with 2 network cards
    By tealeaf in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 09:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99