-
Senior Member
registered user
KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5
I just downloaded KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso and KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5 again (needed to burn a new copy at home).
cat KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5 returns
8f841bae907f828ed7a36a0213746ab1 *KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso but
md5sum KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso returns
8f841bae907f828ed7a36a0213746ab1 KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso
I never noticed that "*" in KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5 before. Is this normal? If so, what is that "*" about? If not, does that mean my md5sum is bad so I should download again?
TIA,
AJG
-
Senior Member
registered user
No - it should be fine.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Wow, Ricky, thanx for that fast response!
But, what is that "*" about???
TIA,
AJG
-
Feature this
Obviously the * can't be a part of the hash, so I'm sure the ISO is OK.
"It's not a bug, it's a feature"
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Feature this

Originally Posted by
sn0wflake
Obviously the * can't be a part of the hash, so I'm sure the ISO is OK.
"It's not a bug, it's a feature"

Oh, OK, I thought undocumented features only came with Mr. Gates' Evil OS....
Regards,
AJG
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
I just downloaded KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso and KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5 again (needed to burn a new copy at home).
cat KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5 returns
8f841bae907f828ed7a36a0213746ab1 *KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso but
md5sum KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso returns
8f841bae907f828ed7a36a0213746ab1 KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso
I never noticed that "*" in KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5 before. Is this normal? If so, what is that "*" about? If not, does that mean my md5sum is bad so I should download again?
TIA,
AJG
I only know this because I was asked to develop a proof of concept in Perl to prove that binary files could be stored in a Oracle DB and we could guarantee that the file is the same after it was retrieved. I am not trying to be an annoying know-it-all.
MD5SUM command uses the asterix * to designate that it is a binary file OR if the file was read in binary mode.
Doing man md5dum in Cygwin on Windows2000 shows:
Code:
-b, --binary
read files in binary mode (default on DOS/Windows)
-c, --check
check MD5 sums against given list
-t, --text
read files in text mode (default)
http://www.fifi.org/cgi-bin/man2html...n1/md5sum.1.gz shows:
Code:
-b
Use binary mode. In unix environment, only difference between this and the normal mode is an asterix preceding the filename in the output.
I hope this makes sense.
Similar Threads
-
By simon_lim88 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 12-17-2003, 02:33 AM
-
By gneumarke in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-03-2003, 02:32 PM
-
By Magio in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 08-12-2003, 06:26 AM
-
By yhw22 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-20-2003, 07:13 PM
-
By audioaficionado in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-05-2003, 10:07 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive
$200.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )
$24.99