Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5

    I just downloaded KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso and KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5 again (needed to burn a new copy at home).

    cat KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5 returns
    8f841bae907f828ed7a36a0213746ab1 *KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso but

    md5sum KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso returns
    8f841bae907f828ed7a36a0213746ab1 KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso

    I never noticed that "*" in KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5 before. Is this normal? If so, what is that "*" about? If not, does that mean my md5sum is bad so I should download again?

    TIA,
    AJG

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    No - it should be fine.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Wow, Ricky, thanx for that fast response!

    But, what is that "*" about???

    TIA,
    AJG

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    163

    Feature this

    Obviously the * can't be a part of the hash, so I'm sure the ISO is OK.

    "It's not a bug, it's a feature"

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    Re: Feature this

    Quote Originally Posted by sn0wflake
    Obviously the * can't be a part of the hash, so I'm sure the ISO is OK.

    "It's not a bug, it's a feature"
    Oh, OK, I thought undocumented features only came with Mr. Gates' Evil OS....

    Regards,
    AJG

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    I just downloaded KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso and KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5 again (needed to burn a new copy at home).

    cat KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5 returns
    8f841bae907f828ed7a36a0213746ab1 *KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso but

    md5sum KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso returns
    8f841bae907f828ed7a36a0213746ab1 KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso

    I never noticed that "*" in KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5 before. Is this normal? If so, what is that "*" about? If not, does that mean my md5sum is bad so I should download again?

    TIA,
    AJG
    I only know this because I was asked to develop a proof of concept in Perl to prove that binary files could be stored in a Oracle DB and we could guarantee that the file is the same after it was retrieved. I am not trying to be an annoying know-it-all.


    MD5SUM command uses the asterix * to designate that it is a binary file OR if the file was read in binary mode.

    Doing man md5dum in Cygwin on Windows2000 shows:

    Code:
    -b, --binary
           read files in binary mode (default on DOS/Windows)
    
    -c, --check
           check MD5 sums against given list
    
    -t, --text
           read files in text mode (default)

    http://www.fifi.org/cgi-bin/man2html...n1/md5sum.1.gz shows:
    Code:
    -b
        Use binary mode. In unix environment, only difference between this and the normal mode is an asterix preceding the filename in the output.
    I hope this makes sense.

Similar Threads

  1. Finding for a copy of KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-06-06-EN
    By simon_lim88 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-17-2003, 02:33 AM
  2. KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-10-28-EN on bittorrent, what's new?
    By gneumarke in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 02:32 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-12-2003, 06:26 AM
  4. Making KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-06-06-EN.ISO
    By yhw22 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 07:13 PM
  5. KNOPPIX_V3.1-2002-12-12-EN.iso vs V3.1-2003-01-20-EN.iso
    By audioaficionado in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2003, 10:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Mass Microsystems DataPak 88MB Removable External SCSI Hard Drive... picture

Vintage Mass Microsystems DataPak 88MB Removable External SCSI Hard Drive...

$149.99



Apple Macintosh Plus 1Mb Vintage Desktop Computer w/ Keyboard & Mouse picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1Mb Vintage Desktop Computer w/ Keyboard & Mouse

$350.00



Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra picture

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra

$120.00



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$228.19



Vintage Dell Inspiron 7500 15

Vintage Dell Inspiron 7500 15" Pentium II 400MHz 128MB 4.8GB Windows 2000 Pro

$59.00



15pc Vintage Networking Electronics Lot Netgear Linksys D-Link Roku Untested picture

15pc Vintage Networking Electronics Lot Netgear Linksys D-Link Roku Untested

$85.00



VINTAGE IBM THINKPAD 770 TYPE 9548 13.7

VINTAGE IBM THINKPAD 770 TYPE 9548 13.7" PENTIUM MMX LAPTOP As Is

$189.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition picture

Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition

$199.99