No - it should be fine.![]()
I just downloaded KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso and KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5 again (needed to burn a new copy at home).
cat KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5 returns
8f841bae907f828ed7a36a0213746ab1 *KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso but
md5sum KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso returns
8f841bae907f828ed7a36a0213746ab1 KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso
I never noticed that "*" in KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso.md5 before. Is this normal? If so, what is that "*" about? If not, does that mean my md5sum is bad so I should download again?
TIA,
AJG
No - it should be fine.![]()
Wow, Ricky, thanx for that fast response!
But, what is that "*" about???
TIA,
AJG
Obviously the * can't be a part of the hash, so I'm sure the ISO is OK.
"It's not a bug, it's a feature"![]()
Oh, OK, I thought undocumented features only came with Mr. Gates' Evil OS....Originally Posted by sn0wflake
Regards,
AJG
I only know this because I was asked to develop a proof of concept in Perl to prove that binary files could be stored in a Oracle DB and we could guarantee that the file is the same after it was retrieved. I am not trying to be an annoying know-it-all.Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
MD5SUM command uses the asterix * to designate that it is a binary file OR if the file was read in binary mode.
Doing man md5dum in Cygwin on Windows2000 shows:
Code:-b, --binary read files in binary mode (default on DOS/Windows) -c, --check check MD5 sums against given list -t, --text read files in text mode (default)
http://www.fifi.org/cgi-bin/man2html...n1/md5sum.1.gz shows:I hope this makes sense.Code:-b Use binary mode. In unix environment, only difference between this and the normal mode is an asterix preceding the filename in the output.

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00
Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99
IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys
$549.95