Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Customising K Menu and KDE taskbar

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4

    Customising K Menu and KDE taskbar

    I was wondering where the config file (like the taskbars kickerrc file) for the K Menus items, where I could see which subdirs/catagory each icon are placed in, and perhaps even delete it to make them disappear. Also, is there a way to start make the a way to make the KDE taskbar start up minimized?

    Best regards,
    Arbiter

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    Also, is there a way to start make the a way to make the KDE taskbar start up minimized?
    Right click the kicker, and select configure panel. There should then be a hiding tab.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4
    The reason is that I've booted from the Knoppix CD, copied the Knoppix from the cloop mounted devices data to the harddrive, and from there I want to customise the menues on that.
    I've tried to chroot into the copy on the harddrive, but when I started the KDE in Xnest, all the fonts were squares! Don't have the faintest idea why it got like that, so now I'm trying to configure the HD copy of it by editing its config files.
    I've found the kickerrc to edit the taskbar, and have removed the OpenOffice icon, but I would also like to make it start minimized.
    I haven't been able to find the file that defines the K Menus groups etc. yet though, and this is what I'm looking for. (Along with the command to minimize the taskbar from start ofcourse)
    The whole problem with this is that I want to configure a system, that I'm not logged into :-/

    Please bear with me, as I only got my hands on Knoppix like 3 days ago, and it's actually my first time ever trying Linux.

    Best regards,
    Arbiter

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    All the global config files are in /usr/share/config.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    I guess you already made a /home/knoppix directory in your chrooted filesystem, copied the files in /etc/skel to /home/knoppix, chown'd and chmodded them, then started your xsession as the user knoppix?

    From there you can use the kontrol center apps to configure how kde will work.

    After you're finished, you'd then rm the files in /etc/skel, copy the modified files from /home/knoppix back to /etc/skel, chown and chmod them back to the way they were, cleanup, and then remaster.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    I have had some success with the simple method of modifying the /etc/skel/ files but this does not produce perfect results. Menu entries for Mozilla, Gnumeric and others persist after removing the enties and the packages. Adding non-debian packages to the menu and remastering also does not work with such simple methods. Is there an easy way to do this or must I edit configuration files in /usr/share/applnk & config/ for each change as well?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    I beleive editing the files under /usr is a must for things such as changes to the kmenu (though that may be over-run by a menu-updating script anyway).

    /etc/skel works for many programs' configs, most kicker icons, and changes to KDE.... just not the menu and not mozilla icons in my experience.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter
    ... when I started the KDE in Xnest, all the fonts were squares!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    I also have this problem if I use Xnest. I can change over to vc2 with CTRL-ALT-F2, chroot, mount proc and startx -- :1 and it works fine.

    I tried this on 2 machines, from the CD and a HDD Knoppix install. I do notice that it gives me a font path error in the konsole windo that I started startx from Weird that it works in a second X instance but not with Xnest. Anyone have any ides?

Similar Threads

  1. Error customising Knoppix 3.7
    By Saint0453 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 01:28 PM
  2. CHECKSUM error after customising iso ..
    By ktheking in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 09:15 PM
  3. Customising & Remastering description?
    By TyphoonMentat in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 10:41 PM
  4. The taskbar won't flash in KDE
    By champagnemojo in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 04:25 AM
  5. personel dir from the taskbar is from user knoppix?
    By raymond in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-08-2003, 11:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server Intel Xeon E5630 4GB DDR3 No HDD picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server Intel Xeon E5630 4GB DDR3 No HDD

$279.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 ) picture

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )

$24.99