I too am absolutely miffed about the origin of the KDE menus. Can a script be used on the remaster to copy in the menu settings at boot time? Or is there a definitive source which can be modified to customise the menu entries?
It's that time again... time to find out where the heck the kmenu comes from!!! It's not /etc/skel/.kde/applnk and its not /usr/share/applnk because my kmenu looks very different than the kmenu would look if it was derived from those files. COuld it possibly come from root's home?
I really can't live without tweaking the look of my remaster, but it really blows when things that I uninstalled with apt still show up in my kmenu even after I've deleted them from the kmenu and deleted /etc/skel and then stuck my ramdisdk configs into /etc/skel.
I'm working out of a 3.2 remaster and its been apt-get upgraded to testing distribution and undergone numerous other changes such that I'm surprised that it still works at all.
Anyway, kmenu... /me shrugs
The other thing is that konqueror loves to complain about missing libs- kdelibc_konq_la or something pretty close to that.... This pops up when used as a file browser. I'll post the exact error when I get home later. I googled it and got a page of results, but no file to download or package to install. Nothing really debian-specific came up either. Functionality is fine, but I don't need error messages popping up when noobs start browsing their files graphically. Has anyone tried installing an alternate file browser? I've never tried myself and am wondering just what I'd have to edit. To be honest I wouldn't mind blowing konqueror away entirely, not a bit.
Edit: here's what konqueror spits out when I try to adjust its Settings > Configure konqueror:
There was aThere was an error loading module
'.hidden/filebehavior.desktop'
The diagnostics is:
Library files for "libkcm_konq.la" not found in pathsn error loading module
'.hidden/filebehavior.desktop'
The diagnostics is:
Library files for "libkcm_konq.la" not found in paths
I too am absolutely miffed about the origin of the KDE menus. Can a script be used on the remaster to copy in the menu settings at boot time? Or is there a definitive source which can be modified to customise the menu entries?
I tried the following already with no luck-
wrote a script to run at end of boot sequence for run level 2.
The script did the following-
delete /home/knoppix
make a new /home/knoppix
cp and chown files in /etc/skel to new /home/knoppix, including an .xinitrc file
startx
So I had a text mode boot that would absolutely make sure my modified confiog files were being used and would then jump to graphical mode.... it was kind of nice for one thing- I could log out of KDE and go back to text mode instead of it automatically shutting down. Then I could start another Xsession or change window managers with .xinitrc if I wanted.
HOWEVER, MY KMENU WAS STILL MESSED UP!!!
What this means to me is that when kde starts it updates ite menus, or that it's grabbing a skeleton config from somewhere other than /ets/skel.
Perhaps because I apt-get removed instead of apt-get -force removed packages and because I failed to delete those directories that were not empty which contained leftover config files, that KDE's menu-updating script thinks software that is uninstalled is still there?
Hmmm, now that I write it all out I think maybe I know where to look to disable KDE menu-updating. Then I could edit the hdd-install scripts to re-enable it if the OS is HDD-installed....
By all means keep the ideas flowing- this issue really bugs me.
arkaine23: read this: http://alioth.debian.org/docman/view...-one-file.html
and then also note script knoppix-somethingmenus which does some neat magic to menus.
Hope it helps.

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1671.47
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Dell Precision 7560 i7-11850H 2.5GHz 32GB 1TB NVMe 15.6" T1200 No OS: Fair
$459.00
Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99
Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$462.74
Silicon Power 1TB SSD 3D NAND A55 SLC SATA III 2.5" SSD Laptop XBOX PS3 PC
$119.99
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99