Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Knoppix Preview

  1. #31
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by miauman
    And what about a kernel compile with i2c to run sensor-detect when you install knoppix??
    Hmm, that means lm-sensors will be enabled at boot time? Then I know at least one category of users that would dislike that idea. Asus Pundit owners.

    The Asus Pundit is a quite silent machine, but running lm-sensors triggers Q-Fan (the automatic fan control) to turn the fan up to it's max, which is quite loud. I'm unsure if other Asus motherboards with Q-Fan also have this deficency.

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    163

    Startrek boot

    Please remove the annoying Startrek woman voice at bootup! By deleting the voice entirely, space could be saved

  3. #33
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    31

    General Comments

    Startrek voice:
    I think that's kind of cool, and I always use it as an indicator as to whether my snd card is working

    ACPI:
    Current knoppix version seems to have some troubles with this, if it's done well it would be fine with me (I haven't been able to use knoppix recently because ACPI doesn't work right on my machine (or rather, it works sometimes but not always). But the HD installer DEFINITELY should be improved. There's nothing else out there with this many installed programs included, not to mention hardware support.

    XFCE:
    From what I 've seen of XFCE, it has no desktop icons; maybe it's just an ugly habit of mine as a Windows user, but I like my desktop. Also, the file manager I used with XFCE was terrible, I like icon views, not list views. Note: I used Morphix LightGUI. If XFCE had a desktop and a better filemanager, I'd go for it.

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    My vote is to replace the startrek voice for shutdown with the bit in the movie "Dark City" where the alien says in his ominous and forbidding voice "Shut it down... Shut it down Forever".

  5. #35
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1

    Re: My 2c

    Quote Originally Posted by gowator
    Quote Originally Posted by windos_no_thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gowator
    acpi = bad experience for many.
    why not just leave it as users passing it specifically.

    What impressed me most on knoppix is it worked 1st time. Sure Im an experienced linux user and my next step would have been to turn off acpi BUT many noobies might not.
    The current situation sucks for many laptop users since on many laptops the only way to enable some of the hardware is to turn on ACPI. What I personally would like is an option to choose either APM or ACPI at boot time. At least with the current 2.4.x kernels I think that would require two kernel images instead of one but it would make it possible to run the same CD on far more machines than now.
    Point taken but I think its important it boots at all.
    Once it boots you have the FAQ and cheatcodes so you can reboot with a tenative acpi or apm passed as a kernel option.
    The prob with acpi is when it sucks it really sucks.
    Some laptops do not actually boot at all. As noted in other threads, some notebooks freeze on boot with Knoppix 3.3 due to problems with ACPI and SMP. My Toshiba 2430 freezes after the boot prompt, no matter what cheatcodes I enter. There is an ACPI-enabled non-SMP version that someone created, but I am really hoping to be able to boot my laptop on 3.4.

  6. #36
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    148

    Re: General Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by andymadigan
    Startrek voice:
    [...] I always use it as an indicator as to whether my snd card is working.
    Same here.

    Quote Originally Posted by andymadigan
    XFCE:
    From what I 've seen of XFCE, it has no desktop icons; maybe it's just an ugly habit of mine as a Windows user, but I like my desktop. Also, the file manager I used with XFCE was terrible, I like icon views, not list views. Note: I used Morphix LightGUI. If XFCE had a desktop and a better filemanager, I'd go for it.
    Tried XFCE last night in Morphix LightGUI. Was expecting it to look prettier :( BTW any idea if it's possible to mve the mouse pointer just using the keyboard (in KDE, I think it's CTRL+F12 then you can use the mouse using jjkl; or four similar keys).

  7. #37
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    20
    from http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6600

    Shift+NumLock gives you movement of the mouse by using the keypad (5 clicks)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. Preview of an article to be published 10/4
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 03:37 PM
  2. Apt install preview
    By ssc in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 07:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD picture

GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD

$149.99



GIGABYTE H610M S2H V2 Motherboard, Supports 14th/13th/12th Gen Intel Core i5 i7 picture

GIGABYTE H610M S2H V2 Motherboard, Supports 14th/13th/12th Gen Intel Core i5 i7

$69.59



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$71.49



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX picture

ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX

$59.99