As subject suggests, I installed Knoppix 3.3 on my system, to a 40gig HD, onboard video card.

I had a lot of problems with memory issues, and finally think we have all 512meg RAM working as it should.

During this testing, we attempted to test boot with a monitor that is far less capable then my monitor at home. The hardware tech only could handle a high resolution of 800x600, or possibly 1024x768 - whereas, my monitor at home takes the full resolution of something like 16xx something. What we had problems with was when he tried to get Linux to boot, with his monitor, it would go out-of-sync, or get sync lines across the screen, making visable testing imposible.

First Question: When doing testing like this at the h/w tech's, how can one drop resolution to lower values, when LILO just fires off Linux, and never gives you a chance to do anything? It appears the boot is working fine, just get sync problems when I think we go into XServer.

In an attempt to get one of his monitors working, we tried putting in a secondary video card, one from TNT, GForce, etc... The on-mother-board video card is very poor in arcade games, so I wanted to upgrade the video card, but, for the life of both of us, we could never get the AGP video cards to sync, or even show login screens when coming into XServer, even with my monitor.

Question #2: I thought Knoppix was better than Debian because it always does a auto-detect every time it boots? Appears this isn't the case. How can one upgrade hardware? Don't tell me I have to go through another HD Install to get new hardware to run? I was about to buy a newer, more capable, video card to run as the main video card, but we could never get Knoppix to work with one, and we tried about half a dozen of them.

Solutions to these would be incredibly helpful, if not for the answer, for the ability to upgrade this video card to something than can play Chomium at least

Thanks for any help,
Cuddles