-
Knoppix and VMWare network and display quirks
Just installed VMWare Workstation 3.2 tryout version and Knoppix 3.1 built on 2003-1-20. The host is a P4 running Windows XP with an Ati Radeon 9000.
I can boot Knoppix just fine. It boots to 1024x768 resolution and all is well. But if I specify a resolution in the boot prompt, like 1280x1024, the VMWare Window is somehow stretched to a much larger size and I have to scroll the display around? It is like the 1280x1024 resolution is somehow magnified on-screen. It persists if I go full-screen. How to get 1280x1024 normal size?
I have chosen bridged network from VMWare. Knoppix gets an IP from my DHCP server on my network, and can ping outside hosts. But any other protocol will not go through. No telnet, no traceroute, no surfing, nothing. The host computer has a software firewall but it creates no notifications about any traffic. The host can ping Knoppix and vice versa, but that is all. Any other protocol will not get through. How to enable full networking?
Any other VMWare+Knoppix tricks are sure welcome, too!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Regardless, disable the firewall. Does vmware networking work with other virtual machines? I've had no problems at all using vmware with knoppix. I think the problem is outside rather than inside. Also if you exceed your desktop resolution then it will scroll around.
-
Senior Member
registered user
How do you change the resolution so that it is a higher resolution than what it is WITHOUT scrolling?
-
Senior Member
registered user
See the last line of my reply.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I do not enjoy having to scroll and am looking for the way to do it without scrolling....
-
The point about the resolution was that the resolution selected at the boot prompt is not greater than the resolution of the display, but the seleted resolution somehow gets magnified so it looks larger than it should be. This happens at every resolution selected at boot prompt. Even 1024x768 will be larger than 1600x1200 because of the maginification. The screen is only normal size when nothing is specified in the boot prompt. I do not know if other resolutions than 1024x768 will be ok because I do not know how to change the resolution inside Knoppix as my minikeyboard does not have numpad+-.
I need to test if the networking works between virtual machines will be back on that later.
-
Senior Member
registered user
using the numpad +/- is has the same effect as what you discribed.
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-23-2004, 05:20 AM
-
By cenicero in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-18-2004, 08:26 AM
-
By Ish Rattan in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-20-2004, 04:49 AM
-
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-01-2004, 06:44 PM
-
By Nesser in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-31-2003, 09:41 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC
$184.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U 512GB SSD 16GB RAM FAIR BATT
$225.00

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused
$395.95

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00