Wierd. I've never had this happen and I've done lots of Knoppix installs. Anyone else have any ideas? Hardware?
Hi all,
I installed Knoppix 3.3 on to my hard drive and after using it for a week or two I am puzzled by the constant and regular disk access. No Unix I have ever used before hits the drive nearly as often. I estimate it is every 3-5 seconds. What would be causing this? I am using ReiserFS on the main drive if that is relevant.
Wierd. I've never had this happen and I've done lots of Knoppix installs. Anyone else have any ideas? Hardware?
It is an all SCSI system with two Symbios based cards. The motherboard is a K7S5A using the builtin LAN and sound card. The video is an S3 Savag4 based AGP card.
The journal on the disk getting updated? Or is it a prolonged access not just the one quick flicker of light you would see when the disk was accessed.Originally Posted by Worm
Hi Stephen,
This explanation is quie plausible. Also, since I have never used ReiserFS on a Unix installation before it would be why this seems so different to me. Is there a way to either tune the update time or look in some logs to see for sure if this is the activity?
The sound itself is definitely more than just a brief flash of the HD LED. It is a disk access sound of maybe 100 milliseconds or more. Since this disk is kind of loud, it is quite noticeable.

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99
Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99
DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage
$69.99
Vintage DEC LR150-11 Power Supply 70-0464-01 Rev S Sun Shoebox Server PSU Used
$160.00
6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips
$95.00
DEC Vintage Pulse-to-Step Converter Driver Interface Card for DEC Systems
$50.00
DEC 3010A Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)
$100.00
Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard
$149.99
Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99
Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3)
$149.99