I've used linmodems with these chipsets with linux successfully:
conexant -- but now you have to pay for drivers from linuxant.com
lucent/agere -- works with knoppix in my laptop
pctel -- not the best of modems or linux driver installation
You might want to check out:
http://www.linmodems.org/
http://www.devidal.tv/~chris/winmodems/pci_list.html
Haven't used a modem for a while so can't recommend anything![]()
I've used linmodems with these chipsets with linux successfully:
conexant -- but now you have to pay for drivers from linuxant.com
lucent/agere -- works with knoppix in my laptop
pctel -- not the best of modems or linux driver installation
536ep for Intel/ambiet chipset modems has linux drivers. I've even heard people say those work fine in Debian. I added the driver to my remaster, Overclockix, but no one has tested it that I am aware of. Those sell for about $15.
Anyone used a Dynalink 1456VQH-T4 ?
Agere Systems DSP1648C host-based controller chipset. This might be my best shot at an internal modem.
http://www.dynalink.com.au/products/1456vqh-t4.htm
Smells like a winmodem to me. You are better off ordering the internal from anyone who sells BestData products. The extra effort to get the right modem will save many hours of labor in the future.
Surge suppressor, Stephen!
OG.
My advice is to get away from internal modems entirely. For one thing they steal bus cycles and actually slow down the performance of your entire system. A lot of them are beset with problems, regardless of which os you happen to be using. I used to work for a major modem manufacturer, in engineering, and learned quite a bit about the little beasts. Don't like em. All I use are externals.
I ended up getting a Dynalink 1456VQH-T4. It's fine for Windows, and I hear it works fine in Linux too (haven't tested it yet).
Thanks for the replies everyone... looks like I'll have to dig out my old external modem if my new one doesn't work in Linux.
Kerosene,
I agree with "everyone" here, and ESPECIALLY MightyDaveFish - never trust a salesman - UNLESS - you can see them using a computer running Linux - in that case - talk to the hardware/tech guy
I, unfortunately, had a "hard-wired" LTWinModem soildered onto my motherboard - it worked - kind of - but, best advice I got here was, get an external modem.
Went out, looked for the first SERIAL MODEM I could find, external, it even had 56k and fax, plus a lot of the other "expected" features from an internal, and worked on first boot. Couldn't be happier. [and yes, watching those flashing lights is ALWAYS more fun than watching them in the system tray [giggle]]
Hmmmm, wondering if a Computer Store would allow you to walk in and use the Knoppix CD in one of their systems, to ensure a good purchase???? [ I think thats kind of pushing it though ]
Just my 2 cents worth, which now is only worth half a penny candy,
Cuddles

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD
$100.00
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99
External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00