Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: I'm buying an internal modem. Which one?

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You might want to check out:
    http://www.linmodems.org/
    http://www.devidal.tv/~chris/winmodems/pci_list.html

    Haven't used a modem for a while so can't recommend anything

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    106
    I've used linmodems with these chipsets with linux successfully:

    conexant -- but now you have to pay for drivers from linuxant.com
    lucent/agere -- works with knoppix in my laptop
    pctel -- not the best of modems or linux driver installation

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    536ep for Intel/ambiet chipset modems has linux drivers. I've even heard people say those work fine in Debian. I added the driver to my remaster, Overclockix, but no one has tested it that I am aware of. Those sell for about $15.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6
    Anyone used a Dynalink 1456VQH-T4 ?

    Agere Systems DSP1648C host-based controller chipset. This might be my best shot at an internal modem.

    http://www.dynalink.com.au/products/1456vqh-t4.htm

  5. #15
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    denver, co
    Posts
    72
    Smells like a winmodem to me. You are better off ordering the internal from anyone who sells BestData products. The extra effort to get the right modem will save many hours of labor in the future.

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    107
    Surge suppressor, Stephen!
    OG.

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    internal modems

    My advice is to get away from internal modems entirely. For one thing they steal bus cycles and actually slow down the performance of your entire system. A lot of them are beset with problems, regardless of which os you happen to be using. I used to work for a major modem manufacturer, in engineering, and learned quite a bit about the little beasts. Don't like em. All I use are externals.

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6
    I ended up getting a Dynalink 1456VQH-T4. It's fine for Windows, and I hear it works fine in Linux too (haven't tested it yet).

    Thanks for the replies everyone... looks like I'll have to dig out my old external modem if my new one doesn't work in Linux.

  9. #19
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Kerosene,

    I agree with "everyone" here, and ESPECIALLY MightyDaveFish - never trust a salesman - UNLESS - you can see them using a computer running Linux - in that case - talk to the hardware/tech guy

    I, unfortunately, had a "hard-wired" LTWinModem soildered onto my motherboard - it worked - kind of - but, best advice I got here was, get an external modem.

    Went out, looked for the first SERIAL MODEM I could find, external, it even had 56k and fax, plus a lot of the other "expected" features from an internal, and worked on first boot. Couldn't be happier. [and yes, watching those flashing lights is ALWAYS more fun than watching them in the system tray [giggle]]

    Hmmmm, wondering if a Computer Store would allow you to walk in and use the Knoppix CD in one of their systems, to ensure a good purchase???? [ I think thats kind of pushing it though ]

    Just my 2 cents worth, which now is only worth half a penny candy,
    Cuddles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Toshiba internal modem /lucent modem
    By ottosykora in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2005, 11:58 PM
  2. How To Install Modem Aztech Internal Modem Msp3880
    By Mic Q in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 02:17 PM
  3. internal modem problem
    By tsitras in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2004, 04:47 AM
  4. Internal modem; anyone get one to work???
    By The Fader in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-18-2004, 09:30 PM
  5. Internal Modem not detected
    By maneeshkumar in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2003, 04:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC picture

Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC

$27.99



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$30.00