Why not use Knoppix Customize and have it do what you want without remastering at all?Originally Posted by BillS
I need to re-construct the boot.img file used during the CD boot. I searched the forums for 'boot.img' and read all those. I read through http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...tomKernelHowto.
I am not running M$Win, I am not installing a new kernel or ISOLinux. I have the boot.img opened through a /dev/loop and have modified files. Unfortunately it looks like loop is read-only. So I copy these to a HD directory, make changes, and then what?
root@knop1:/bld/newstuff# ll bootimg/
total 1402
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 107 Nov 19 15:28 boot.msg
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 1791 Nov 19 15:28 f2
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 256 Nov 19 15:28 german.kbd
-r-xr--r-- 1 root root 7836 Nov 19 15:28 ldlinux.sys
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9258 Jan 8 08:29 logo.16
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 489495 Nov 19 15:28 miniroot.gz
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 2797 Jan 8 08:27 syslinux.cfg
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 921593 Nov 19 15:28 vmlinuz
Note modified files. Now what is the 'mkisofs' command to rebuild the boot.img file? Then I will put it back into the remastering structure.
Thanks in advance
BillS
Why not use Knoppix Customize and have it do what you want without remastering at all?Originally Posted by BillS
I looked at that program/procedure. It showed me how to process my new boot graphic. But it is constrained to smaller than what is already there.
I am already re-mastering for my basic application, so I just need to re-build that file. I have all the pieces already pulled apart as part of the pseudo-CD I use for testing before burning....
BillS
i got this from a remastering how to hope it helps
** #cp /KNOPPIX/boot.img /mnt/hda3
*Mount the image as follows
* * * #*mount -t msdos -o loop * /mnt/hda3/boot.img */mnt/hda3/image
* Now look in the image directory you created. There are a number of interesting *files in this directory
**** Boot logo **
logo.16 is the image displayed on boot screen. *It is encoded in a special format. For replacing it grab a 640*400 *16 color image. I downloaded an image from gnu.org.*Convert the image to a png file ( call it logo.png)*
** #pngtopnm <logo.png >logo.pnm
* *** #ppmtolss16 <logo.pnm >logo.16
*** # cp logo.16 /mnt/hda3/image/logo.16
skip this part- -t msdos
and you can write the files.
Don't skip it an you'll need to cp the files ouitside of the mounted loop, edit them, mv a non-essential file like logo.png outside the mounted loop, then cp the editied config files back in, then mv the non-essential logo.png back in the loop (it will be a tiny bit smaller probably), then unmount the loop.
I put a custom boot image on a knoppix cd using instructions from this page under custom boot cd:
http://www.cclug.org/wiki/Main/KnoppixTricks
Folks;
I want to thank you all for the help. On Friday I had the boot image change, but couldn't figure out why. I had done the cloop mount and say the files. I copied in a new image (appropriately processed), but the size of the file didnt' change.
Since that didn't work I went on to other tasks. I did *NOT* unmount the looped directory. Apparently the changes are not written out (or at least visible) until thing are flushed or unmounted. Later I shutdown to test a burn, which registered the new image which I found in the subsequet burn.
Thanks again for confirming what had happened. I am looking forward to moving on in this project.. Individual burn dates and serial numbers
incremented on the boot screen with each remastering
BillS

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1694.85
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$441.77
Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished
$519.99
External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$15.99
SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD 1TB, SDSSDH3 2.5" SSD Drive SATA III 6GB/S (SDSSDH3-1T02)
$138.56