Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Install and Refresh rate screwed up

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1

    Install and Refresh rate screwed up

    Greetings all!

    Ok, I decided to give Linux another shot and have heard lots about Knoppix and their Live CD. So DL away and burn the ISO. (Latest online version, 3.3)

    I have a second machine that I wanted to give it a shot on but after the boot prompt(actually, after...darn, forgot the name of the file but I can seee vmlinuz load and then the one after that loads, it is after the second file where the video goes screwy). I can tell that Linux is loading and working fine (can kinda make out a little Tux on the screen, albeit in 50 places at once<G>)

    I have checked out the cheat sheet and tried a number of options but nothing seems to change.

    I have searched the messages and tried a suggested ALT+CTL++/- which made no difference.

    So, specs are:

    (IBM 300PL) P1/200, 64MB RAM, ATI Rage II+, NEC MultiSync 2A(14").

    I know the monitor does have issues and simply will NOT go into 800X600 video mode (even in Win9 and this is fine. I can use a command line easy enough but how do I force text mode, 720X480?

    "knoppix 2" doesn't change anything.

    I'm not qutie ready yet to install as I just want to 'try' this version of Linux and see if I can get it to work.

    Any other suggestions? (Besides a different monitor...)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    knoppix noddc xvrefresh=60 xmodule=ati screen=640x480 try that and if it works then bump up the screen= to the size you want to get and you may have to go with a desktop (desktop=) other than KDE it is most likely going to tell you that you have insufficent ram to start KDE itself. Othercheat codes.

Similar Threads

  1. refresh rate
    By jeanthibca in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 02:33 PM
  2. refresh rate and resolution all screwed up
    By jc01 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 06:31 AM
  3. Refresh rate
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 07:36 PM
  4. refresh rate
    By Zibar in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-20-2003, 08:04 PM
  5. Refresh Rate
    By bateto_007 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-23-2003, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-14600KF 14th Gen 14-Core 20-Thread 5.3GHz LGA 1700 Opened New picture

Intel Core i5-14600KF 14th Gen 14-Core 20-Thread 5.3GHz LGA 1700 Opened New

$180.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.00 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SRG13 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.00 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SRG13

$79.99



Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished picture

Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished

$44.99



Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY picture

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY

$94.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339 picture

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339

$39.99



Intel Core i9-9900 | SRG18 | 3.10 GHz | 8 Cores | LOT OF 10 picture

Intel Core i9-9900 | SRG18 | 3.10 GHz | 8 Cores | LOT OF 10

$1505.77



AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Cores 8MB Up to 4.9GHz Desktop Processor 100-100000059WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Cores 8MB Up to 4.9GHz Desktop Processor 100-100000059WOF

$350.00



COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4 picture

COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4

$169.95



AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core 16-Thread 3.4GHz 36MB Cache AM4 926WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core 16-Thread 3.4GHz 36MB Cache AM4 926WOF

$177.00