Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Install and Refresh rate screwed up

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1

    Install and Refresh rate screwed up

    Greetings all!

    Ok, I decided to give Linux another shot and have heard lots about Knoppix and their Live CD. So DL away and burn the ISO. (Latest online version, 3.3)

    I have a second machine that I wanted to give it a shot on but after the boot prompt(actually, after...darn, forgot the name of the file but I can seee vmlinuz load and then the one after that loads, it is after the second file where the video goes screwy). I can tell that Linux is loading and working fine (can kinda make out a little Tux on the screen, albeit in 50 places at once<G>)

    I have checked out the cheat sheet and tried a number of options but nothing seems to change.

    I have searched the messages and tried a suggested ALT+CTL++/- which made no difference.

    So, specs are:

    (IBM 300PL) P1/200, 64MB RAM, ATI Rage II+, NEC MultiSync 2A(14").

    I know the monitor does have issues and simply will NOT go into 800X600 video mode (even in Win9 and this is fine. I can use a command line easy enough but how do I force text mode, 720X480?

    "knoppix 2" doesn't change anything.

    I'm not qutie ready yet to install as I just want to 'try' this version of Linux and see if I can get it to work.

    Any other suggestions? (Besides a different monitor...)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    knoppix noddc xvrefresh=60 xmodule=ati screen=640x480 try that and if it works then bump up the screen= to the size you want to get and you may have to go with a desktop (desktop=) other than KDE it is most likely going to tell you that you have insufficent ram to start KDE itself. Othercheat codes.

Similar Threads

  1. refresh rate
    By jeanthibca in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 02:33 PM
  2. refresh rate and resolution all screwed up
    By jc01 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 06:31 AM
  3. Refresh rate
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 07:36 PM
  4. refresh rate
    By Zibar in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-20-2003, 08:04 PM
  5. Refresh Rate
    By bateto_007 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-23-2003, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A picture

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A

$44.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



M2 2280 PCIe 4.0 solid-state drive high-speed storage device 1080P RO 2TB NGFF picture

M2 2280 PCIe 4.0 solid-state drive high-speed storage device 1080P RO 2TB NGFF

$99.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health picture

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health

$35.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD  picture

Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD

$13.00