Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Install and Refresh rate screwed up

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1

    Install and Refresh rate screwed up

    Greetings all!

    Ok, I decided to give Linux another shot and have heard lots about Knoppix and their Live CD. So DL away and burn the ISO. (Latest online version, 3.3)

    I have a second machine that I wanted to give it a shot on but after the boot prompt(actually, after...darn, forgot the name of the file but I can seee vmlinuz load and then the one after that loads, it is after the second file where the video goes screwy). I can tell that Linux is loading and working fine (can kinda make out a little Tux on the screen, albeit in 50 places at once<G>)

    I have checked out the cheat sheet and tried a number of options but nothing seems to change.

    I have searched the messages and tried a suggested ALT+CTL++/- which made no difference.

    So, specs are:

    (IBM 300PL) P1/200, 64MB RAM, ATI Rage II+, NEC MultiSync 2A(14").

    I know the monitor does have issues and simply will NOT go into 800X600 video mode (even in Win9 and this is fine. I can use a command line easy enough but how do I force text mode, 720X480?

    "knoppix 2" doesn't change anything.

    I'm not qutie ready yet to install as I just want to 'try' this version of Linux and see if I can get it to work.

    Any other suggestions? (Besides a different monitor...)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    knoppix noddc xvrefresh=60 xmodule=ati screen=640x480 try that and if it works then bump up the screen= to the size you want to get and you may have to go with a desktop (desktop=) other than KDE it is most likely going to tell you that you have insufficent ram to start KDE itself. Othercheat codes.

Similar Threads

  1. refresh rate
    By jeanthibca in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 02:33 PM
  2. refresh rate and resolution all screwed up
    By jc01 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 06:31 AM
  3. Refresh rate
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 07:36 PM
  4. refresh rate
    By Zibar in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-20-2003, 08:04 PM
  5. Refresh Rate
    By bateto_007 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-23-2003, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CMK32GX4M2E3200C16

$160.00



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



Micron 128GB (8x16GB) PC4-3200AA Server Ram / ECC Memory MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2J3UI picture

Micron 128GB (8x16GB) PC4-3200AA Server Ram / ECC Memory MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2J3UI

$1100.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



128gb DDR4 Ram Hpyerx HX430C15PB3K8/128 16x8 3000 MHZ CL15 Tested Read DESC picture

128gb DDR4 Ram Hpyerx HX430C15PB3K8/128 16x8 3000 MHZ CL15 Tested Read DESC

$300.00



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$159.99



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$30.00



PNY XLR8 DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz DIMM Desktop RAM Kit Black/Red picture

PNY XLR8 DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz DIMM Desktop RAM Kit Black/Red

$87.00



16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980 picture

16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980

$39.99