Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Help!How to install knoppix by network

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6

    Help!How to install knoppix by network

    I have got the iso file of konppix and burned it onto a disk.But the cdrom of my laptop broken recently.I want to install knoppix from the other computer on the lan.What should I do?What should I shceme on my own laptop and another computer?Wish you answer.I am appreciate for you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    We need more details: which windows version are you running (win9x vs XP), which FS are you using (fat vs ntfs). Also, can you boot from a diskette?

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    55

    Details

    I'm not the original poster here, but I'd like to do something similar to what I think he/she is trying to do.

    I have an old Compaq Presario 1245 laptop. It has an AMD K6-2 3D-Now! 333 Mhz processor, 128 MB Ram, NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD 2 MB video, and a 3.2 GB HD.

    The CD-ROM is bad, doesn't work. This laptop currently has no OS loaded. I've been trying for 2 days to get Debian Woody installed by booting from a floppy, configuring the PCMCIA network card, and installing via the network. It downloads all of the base packages, but errors out when it start installing/configuring the system.

    What I really wanted to do was to do a HD-install of Knoppix, but the CD-ROM doesn't work. How else could I get Knoppix/Debian installed on this thing?

    Thanks,

    BamaRob

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    Okay, I'll give this a whirl. If the CD rom does not work, here is one option.

    Start a knoppix server and enable terminal services. On the client side, set your card to boot from the network. If your card does not have a boot rom, all is not lost. You can (most likely) create a boot disk that will enable your card to boot from the network. Roms and instructions at:

    http://rom-o-matic.net/

    Boot up the client machine from the network. From there you can run knx-hdinstall, knoppix-installer from the cd boot, or use "knoppix tohdd=/dev/yourhdpartition from the boot screen.

    A potential bottleneck / consideration... You will need at least 128-256M or ram on the client machine or knoppix will need to create a swap drive on an ext2 or fat formatted partition. If this is the partition you want to install knoppix to, it will tie up the drive and you can't install (to that partition). A work around would be to try to boot using "knoppix noswap" which will still probably boot but dump you in the basic window manager (don't remember name, but its NOT kde) and run everything from an xterm.

    Think I thought of everything. Good luck, you can do it!

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    55
    pau1knopp,

    Thanks for the reply. I had considered that, but I thought commands run from a terminal services client actually ran on the terminal services server, and the display just got exported to the client. If this is the case, running knoppix-installer or tohdd in an xterm on the client would want to install to the hdd on the server. Is that not correct? If not, that may be a way of getting knoppix on this box.

    Thanks again,

    BR

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 09:28 PM
  2. Network works off CD, not off HD install
    By Corwin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 03:29 AM
  3. Floppy/network install???
    By bamarob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 01:14 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 05:20 AM
  5. Network not found after hd install.
    By .-=Ronin=-. in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-21-2003, 08:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Lot of (5) Samsung 32GB 2RX4 DDR4-2133 ECC REG RAM M393A4K40BB0-CPB picture

Lot of (5) Samsung 32GB 2RX4 DDR4-2133 ECC REG RAM M393A4K40BB0-CPB

$875.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 DDR4 PC4-2133P M393A4K40BB0-CPB4Q ECC Server Memory Module picture

Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 DDR4 PC4-2133P M393A4K40BB0-CPB4Q ECC Server Memory Module

$150.00



Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON picture

Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON

$149.99



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$489.96