Quote Originally Posted by aay
1. Open up a shell and type, "top." This will display a list of process and wha'ts going on with them. Most likely the ofending program will be gobbling up your cpu and/or memory. Type 'ctrl+c" to stop top. Look on the left hand side for the pid of the program and type kill 786 (or whatever number the pid of your program is). Most likely this will take care of your problem.
I've been using "ps -ef" because when xmms craps out it just idles so it doesn't show up on a "top" command.

Quote Originally Posted by aay
Now that you have installed Knoppix you have a full version of Debian on your system. You will really benefit from googling and reading up on the 'apt-get' features of Debian. You can use apt-get to very, very easliy keep your system up to date.
I'm looking at documentation at debian.org right now. apt-get certainly seems easier than the rpm's I had to use before.

Thanks for the warm welcome!