Thanks for these great tips!

I have installed Knoppix onto a laptop Omnibook XE3 HD and onto a no-name AMD Duron Desktop (built by myself, with SCSI writer/scanner/dvd etc).

I am impressed with the power of Knoppix, in fact I love it. Windows has finally been wiped off all my computers and I bought a Zaurus too.

After 15 years of Windows and 8 of Psion, I feel like a new user! A lot to learn and it is posts like this that make me realize this was a great decision to move to Linux.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by aay
Welcome aboard! Here's a few tips that may help you.

If an application hangs, there are a few quick ways to kill it.

1. Open up a shell and type, "top." This will display a list of process and wha'ts going on with them. Most likely the ofending program will be gobbling up your cpu and/or memory. Type 'ctrl+c" to stop top. Look on the left hand side for the pid of the program and type kill 786 (or whatever number the pid of your program is). Most likely this will take care of your problem.

2. On rare occasions I have found a simple kill command won't work. Then try this kill -9 <pid>. This seems to always work.

3. If you want to do this with the gui just hit: 'ctrl+alt+escape' (or type xkill from the a shell) and your cursor will turn into a skull and cross bones. Click it on the offending window and it will die.

As far as xmms goes, it has always worked on Knoppix for me so I"m not sure what's wrong.

Now that you have installed Knoppix you have a full version of Debian on your system. You will really benefit from googling and reading up on the 'apt-get' features of Debian. You can use apt-get to very, very easliy keep your system up to date.

Congrats again on linux on your box. Keep expanding your knowledge and having fun.