Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Problem Finding Partion on Installation process

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10

    Problem Finding Partion on Installation process

    Hi everyone

    I'm super new on Linux environment.... as a matter of fect I'm trying to intall it since yesterday.
    I ran the command sudo knx-hdinstall and it took me into the cfdisk screen..... after I deleted the old partition and created a new one with a new table writen.... it goes to a screen were it ask me if I want to to swap the partition after I hit yes it says that the partition could not be found and terminates the script.

    What are the steps I should take to fix this????

    Thanks in advance,

    Marcus

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    If you are going to use swap (always recommended unless you have a huge amount of RAM) you need to make two partitions, one for the filesystem and one for swap space. The one for the swap space should be type 82 (the default is 83) .

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10
    Now I jus have one [ hda1 bootable Primary Linux 4300 mb] partition......
    What do i have to do then???

    thanks in advance

    Marcus

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    You need another one (hda2 or hda5) for swap. If you used up all availabe space for hda1 you need to make it smaller first. How much RAM do you have and will you be fiddling with memory-intensive stuff ? (like openoffice)

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10
    I kind of got all the way to the end of the installation... but now after I remove the cd and restart the computer it gives me a message saying
    Not found any [Active partition] in HDD is that because of the fact that I set just one primary partion and none logical swap partition???? I have 384 mb of ram.

    Tahnks

    Marcus.

    Ps.: Nice nick!!!

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10
    Does anyone knows if there is a step by step turorial on this website here???

    Thanks

    Marcus

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Hi, it looks like you simply forgot to mark your boot partition (probably hda1) as active. Reboot off the cd (use "knoppix 2" to make it faster) then rerun cfdisk, and mark the relevant partition - and only that one - as bootable. If lilo had previously been correctly installed, your PC should now boot to your HD install.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10
    Do I need to create a swap or a logical partition????
    I'm just using 384 of ram.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    I thought you had already installed, but simply could not boot?
    If not, what size is your disk and is debian going to be your sole OS?

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10
    yes.... debian is going to be my only OS.
    my disk is 5 gb

    i have debian insttaled but I was thinking that my computer wouldn't restart because i didn't create a logical partition.
    Does that make sense????

    Thanks

    Marcus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Problem finding C Drive
    By Bennito in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 07:49 PM
  2. process to monitor boot process and all necessary apps
    By metzelplik in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 08:11 PM
  3. How to partion?? plz help!
    By lyran in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 07:02 PM
  4. Partion Read-only, Only 2 options on install menu.
    By kgw in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 02:37 AM
  5. Mounting partion from a remote computer?
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2003, 07:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD. picture

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.

$629.99



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00



IBM System S822 Dual Socket Server Motherboard W/Cage FRU P/N: 74Y4343 Tested picture

IBM System S822 Dual Socket Server Motherboard W/Cage FRU P/N: 74Y4343 Tested

$499.99



Ibm Computer Tower picture

Ibm Computer Tower

$400.00



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$200.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99