Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Weird Sound Problem PLEASE HELP IT'S SO ANNOYING!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4

    Weird Sound Problem PLEASE HELP IT'S SO ANNOYING!

    I am using the live version of Knoppix (Newest Version) and when starting where i is supposed to say initalizing... it gets stuck on initalizing and plays it OVER and OVER and OVER again. I am using a SoundBlaster 16 PCI card. No drivers available off the Creative site for Linux. May I have to use my intergrated sound on my motherboard when using Knoppix? Thanks.

    P.S.: I cant open the music playing program (Yes, i'm a n00b to linux)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    May I have to use my intergrated sound on my motherboard when using Knoppix? Thanks.
    Depending on your board, you may well find it better to use the integrated sound.

    First try setting the bios to "non Plug and Play OS". If that doesn't get you anywhere, leave it at that, pull the soundcard, enable the onboard sound and boot with:

    knoppix alsa

    and you should be OK.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4
    do you think i'll have a problem if i install it to HDD? I'm planing on doing taht later tonight or tomorrow.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I'd get it running from the live CD first, then try a HD install. Depending on which script you use, you're likely to have to do some configuring-by-hand, but my last HD install was a good few months ago: do check the documents.

    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdInstallHowTo

    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdInstallHowTo

    and, if you want to get sound running (at least -- almost certainly -- with the built in sound) you'll need to run alsa-autoconfig on the HD install once it's on as root.

    But have fun: Knoppix is still my favourite HD install of Linux.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4
    Do you think I would have to install motherboard drivers? I had to for windows. I have a ECS L4VXA2. I can't get any sound at all with the motherboard sound enabled. And I can't install drivers on the live CD version.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I doubt it: usually sound in Linux is governed by a sort of generic driver which is on the CD. But to get it to run, you need to:

    for the live CD

    at the boot prompt (the screen says "boot:") type "knoppix alsa" (without the quotation marks)

    for the HD install

    after installation, open up a console, type "su" <return> (you'll be asked for the root password, which you should enter and hit <return> ) then type alsa-autoconfig.

    I did a brief google for your board. Some people say the freezing can be sorted by downloading a bios patch (do follow the instructions carefully and make sure you back up the original bios) from here:

    http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/dw_sp...product_id=343

    and/or selecting "load optimize settings" in the bios itself.

    But the sound codec appears to be an AC97, which alsa should handle with no problems.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4
    Thank you very much. I would have never thought to upgrade the bios. I'll try that later on just in case something catstrophic happens.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2005, 12:38 PM
  2. Weird problem
    By socrates in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 12:17 PM
  3. Weird Keyboard Problem..
    By Me|2c in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 04:29 AM
  4. Weird keyboard problem
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-02-2003, 04:22 AM
  5. Weird problem (n00b)
    By AlterEgo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-13-2003, 08:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$288.19



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



M321R4GA0BB0-CQK Samsung 32GB PC5-38400 DDR5-4800MHz Registered ECC CL40 RDIMM picture

M321R4GA0BB0-CQK Samsung 32GB PC5-38400 DDR5-4800MHz Registered ECC CL40 RDIMM

$949.00



Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC picture

Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC

$4.95



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79