-
Junior Member
registered user
Network card now works, but how do I make it permanent?
Despite being a newbie to Knoppix, I have managed to download and compile the driver from broadcom for the network card in my HO/Compag (which knoppix was not seeing at all.
I then issued the 'insmod bcm5700.o' command (as root - it wouldn't do it otherwise), then used netconfig from the menu (used DHCP) and it all was working. I had network access.
Unfortunately, after a reboot, despite saving my settings on a HD partition and using myconf=scan next time, the network card was not working again. I had to repeat the above procedure.
How do I set it up, so knoppix will see the card automatically when I boot up, or at least how can I create a script to start up the network in one step?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Remaster the CD. A script would by necessity have to download it from somewhere or access it from a permanent medium like a usb pen or hard drive persistent home. And you can't very well download a NIC driver in the script because well, you'd need a NIC driver to do so.
PS- I will add that driver to my remaster and post back once its available for download... unfortunately, my custom version of knoppix is somewhat imperfect if you like using KDE.
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
arkaine23
Remaster the CD. A script would by necessity have to download it from somewhere or access it from a permanent medium like a usb pen or hard drive persistent home. And you can't very well download a NIC driver in the script because well, you'd need a NIC driver to do so.
.
Thanks for the info. So, if I had bcm5700.o available (like on a hard disk partition, or sitting in a permanent user home) is there a way to easily load it after everting starts and start/configure the card. Say a few command lines that can be put in a script to automate it? I could then just run the script and get my networking going.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi coltrane,
If you are booting from a KNOPPIX cd or a floppy
you can use a script at start up.
If you have a persistent home on a dirve partition or
on a usb pen deivce -- then you can place a script
in the folder
/home/knoppix/.kde/Autostart/
Note: to see .kde you have to click View --> Show Hidden Files
An executable script here will be saved and reloaded on
boot when your persistent home is restored. When KDE
runs, you card can be configured. The script should execute
as root, but if not use the sudo command. Be sure to
have the file bcm5700.o in a directory in /home/knoppix
and specify where it is in you script.
I use the method to set up my scanner.
A second option would be a boot floppy with a file
called knoppix.sh and have you file on the floppy
but space on the floppy is limited. You can get rid of the
icon file -- usually called logo.16
Best Wishes,
paradocs
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
paradocs
If you have a persistent home on a dirve partition or
on a usb pen deivce -- then you can place a script
in the folder
/home/knoppix/.kde/Autostart/
Note: to see .kde you have to click View --> Show Hidden Files
An executable script here will be saved and reloaded on
boot when your persistent home is restored. When KDE
runs, you card can be configured. The script should execute
as root, but if not use the sudo command. Be sure to
have the file bcm5700.o in a directory in /home/knoppix
and specify where it is in you script.
I use the method to set up my scanner.
Excellent, now all I need are the commands that are equivalent of running netconfig from the menu, and answering yes to use dhcp. If I can put them in the script after the insmod, then I'm cooking.
Anyone know what they might be?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi coltrane,
Read
man pump
and
man ifconfig
if you have a fixed ip address you may also need
something like
route add default gw ###.###.###.###
In case you get any of this to work -- issue yourself a star
and refer to yourself as a level 2 newbie.
Best Wishes
paradocs
-
Junior Member
registered user
OK, I have some reading to do, thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
Overclockix now has this driver. The new Technomancer iso will be available for download sometime tomorrow.
Similar Threads
-
By ocean in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-15-2004, 10:54 PM
-
By CrashedAgain in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-26-2004, 09:28 PM
-
By eris_pluvia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-19-2004, 03:15 PM
-
By lothario in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-16-2004, 11:00 AM
-
By BluntMan in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-17-2003, 01:28 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE
$225.00

Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone
$225.00

Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE
$149.00

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$19.99

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Lot of 4 Cisco CP-8841-3PW-NA-K9 8841 MPP Multiplatform VoIP IP Phone NEW
$450.00

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99