Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: [Help] Knoppix locks up on boot when detecting LAN card.. :(

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2

    [Help] Knoppix locks up on boot when detecting LAN card.. :(

    Hi!
    When I try to boot Knoppix, it does everything ok until this message...
    Network device eth1 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP. _
    And then the cursor stops blinking and it freezes up...
    Do you know what the problem is and how can I fix it?

    "eth0" should be my Realtek PCI Ethernet card and it seems to be ok (LAN cable attached to it), and "eth1" is probably my on-board LAN nForce4 built-in Gbit MAC (Marvell 88E1111 PHY) that came with my motherboard (no LAN cable attached to it)...
    I tried disabling it on the BIOS, but it still gets detected anyway! :P

    Can someone please tell me what to do to be able to boot Knoppix normally?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    if you use the cheatcode
    Code:
    knoppix nodhcp
    it should boot without locking up.
    then when you get into knoppix do
    Code:
    sudo pump -i eth0
    to get ipadres.
    if this does not work let us hear.
    EDIT
    you type that in a console
    /EDIT

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2
    I'm sorry for the mistake, but I forgot something...
    I also have a Wireless PCI card! So, the on-board Ethernet card is disabled correctly afterall... :P
    Therefore, my configuration is this one...
    eth0 - Gigabyte WPKG PCI WLAN Card
    eth1 - Realtek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet NIC
    eth2 - nForce4 built-in Gbit MAC (Marvell 88E1111 PHY)
    Anyway, I did what you said ("sudo pump -i eth1") and it worked fine!
    Thanks man!

    When I run KWiFiManager, it shows Interface eth0, so that's my wireless PCI card...
    But when I start the Network card configuration tool (netcardconfig) and select:
    > "eth0 Netzwerkkart_0" (small translation error here!!!)
    > "Use DHCP broadcast?" (and click "Yes")
    It shows this message and then it completelly locks up Knoppix like on the boot sequence...
    Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0
    When I boot normally, the 2 messages that appear are:
    Network device eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP.
    Network device eth1 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP._
    And then it locks up... So I though the problem was on the eth1 card, but it's in fact on eth0...
    It's some sort of problem when getting the IP address from the Wireless card, that shouldn't be happening...

    Still... it's kind of annoying having to type that "knoppix nodhcp" command everytime I want to boot Knoppix...
    Will this problem be fixed on next versions?
    If you'd like, just tell me what I have to do and I can try to help you discover a solution for this!

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.8 network card config locks up system
    By rgruhn in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 08:58 PM
  2. detecting the wireless card
    By juggernak in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-10-2004, 03:42 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 03:27 PM
  4. Debian(Knoppix? on HD) "locks" when PCMCIA card is
    By dgr72371 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 11:52 PM
  5. Detecting my Ethernet Card
    By Linkooseven in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 07:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



MICRON 32Gb 2x 16GB MTA18ASF2G72PDZ 2RX8 PC4-2400T Server Memory Ram picture

MICRON 32Gb 2x 16GB MTA18ASF2G72PDZ 2RX8 PC4-2400T Server Memory Ram

$150.00



Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 DDR4 PC4-2133P M393A4K40BB0-CPB4Q ECC Server Memory Module picture

Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 DDR4 PC4-2133P M393A4K40BB0-CPB4Q ECC Server Memory Module

$150.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON picture

Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON

$149.99