Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: HP omnibook XE4400

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5

    HP omnibook XE4400

    Hello I have a HP omnibook XE4400 laptop on which I want to install RedHat 9, but when I try to but RedHat my keyboard freezes, I think this is because RedHat doesn't find my keyboard or something like that. Can I use Knoppix to find my hardware and then install RedHat normally?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Running Knoppix will of course not make RedHat work any better automaticaliy.
    If it does boot you you vould be able to examine more closely what hardware you have if you aren't sure. On the other hand, if Knoppix works but RedHat doesn't then why not do a Knoppix hard disk install instead ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5

    HP omnibook XE4400

    I just booted Knoppix and all went fine, it detected all the hardwares. How can I see what hardware I have in Knoppix and how can I use that to make RedHat work? I will try installing RedHat with the info you will provide me and if it doesn't work I will install Knoppix ... Please reply ASAP

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5

    HP omnibook XE4400

    I just booted Knoppix and all went fine, it detected all the hardwares. How can I see what hardware I have in Knoppix and how can I use that to make RedHat work? I will try installing RedHat with the info you will provide me and if it doesn't work I will install Knoppix ... Please reply ASAP

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Well, the output of lspci -v can often be useful. I have no idea what made your RedHat installation fail though.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5

    HP omnibook XE4400

    Can you tell me exactly what to do to make RedHat work? Can you tell me if you use IRC and also where I could contact you on IRC if you use it (server,nickname).

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361

    Re: HP omnibook XE4400

    Quote Originally Posted by serpisors
    Can you tell me exactly what to do to make RedHat work? Can you tell me if you use IRC and also where I could contact you on IRC if you use it (server,nickname).
    Nah, I don't use RedHat myself lately so I'm not sure if I'd be very useful. I'm sure you can find some forum where RedHat specific issues are discussed if you google for it. I don't do much chatting, for Knoppix issues I find this place more useful since many others beside the one asking the question might benefit from any solutions that might be found.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5

    HP omnibook XE4400

    Do you know a linux distribution which has good laptop support? If not can you tell me how to install Knoppix?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Knoppix isn't too bad once you've compiled a kernel that suits your machine. Some people seem to like Mandrake, haven't used it myself on any laptop though. There are two scripts that both do a hard disk install, knoppix-installer and knx-hdinstall. To run them just say "sudo knoppix-installer" or "sudo knx-hdinstall" (on the command line in a Konsole window for instance). Some more details (for knx-hdinstall) are here: http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/debian-knoppix.html I usually use knx-hdinstall myself because I prefer the reiserfs filesystem.

Similar Threads

  1. [hp omnibook 510] Stops booting
    By JJzD in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 12:03 AM
  2. How to get Suspend Key to work on HP Omnibook?
    By AlBorland in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2004, 09:55 AM
  3. HP Omnibook
    By wbeckham in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 12:18 PM
  4. Knoppix does not boot on HP Omnibook XE2
    By Uwe Brauer in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 02:19 PM
  5. hp laptop omnibook 6000
    By mearls in forum Laptops
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-28-2003, 12:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Micron 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U Desktop RAM picture

Micron 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U Desktop RAM

$19.99



Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A picture

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A

$89.95



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00