-
HP omnibook XE4400
Hello I have a HP omnibook XE4400 laptop on which I want to install RedHat 9, but when I try to but RedHat my keyboard freezes, I think this is because RedHat doesn't find my keyboard or something like that. Can I use Knoppix to find my hardware and then install RedHat normally?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Running Knoppix will of course not make RedHat work any better automaticaliy.
If it does boot you you vould be able to examine more closely what hardware you have if you aren't sure. On the other hand, if Knoppix works but RedHat doesn't then why not do a Knoppix hard disk install instead ?
-
HP omnibook XE4400
I just booted Knoppix and all went fine, it detected all the hardwares. How can I see what hardware I have in Knoppix and how can I use that to make RedHat work? I will try installing RedHat with the info you will provide me and if it doesn't work I will install Knoppix ... Please reply ASAP
-
HP omnibook XE4400
I just booted Knoppix and all went fine, it detected all the hardwares. How can I see what hardware I have in Knoppix and how can I use that to make RedHat work? I will try installing RedHat with the info you will provide me and if it doesn't work I will install Knoppix ... Please reply ASAP
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well, the output of lspci -v can often be useful. I have no idea what made your RedHat installation fail though.
-
HP omnibook XE4400
Can you tell me exactly what to do to make RedHat work? Can you tell me if you use IRC and also where I could contact you on IRC if you use it (server,nickname).
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: HP omnibook XE4400

Originally Posted by
serpisors
Can you tell me exactly what to do to make RedHat work? Can you tell me if you use IRC and also where I could contact you on IRC if you use it (server,nickname).
Nah, I don't use RedHat myself lately so I'm not sure if I'd be very useful. I'm sure you can find some forum where RedHat specific issues are discussed if you google for it. I don't do much chatting, for Knoppix issues I find this place more useful since many others beside the one asking the question might benefit from any solutions that might be found.
-
HP omnibook XE4400
Do you know a linux distribution which has good laptop support? If not can you tell me how to install Knoppix?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Knoppix isn't too bad once you've compiled a kernel that suits your machine. Some people seem to like Mandrake, haven't used it myself on any laptop though. There are two scripts that both do a hard disk install, knoppix-installer and knx-hdinstall. To run them just say "sudo knoppix-installer" or "sudo knx-hdinstall" (on the command line in a Konsole window for instance). Some more details (for knx-hdinstall) are here: http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/debian-knoppix.html I usually use knx-hdinstall myself because I prefer the reiserfs filesystem.
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-24-2005, 12:03 AM
-
By AlBorland in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-20-2004, 09:55 AM
-
By wbeckham in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-01-2004, 12:18 PM
-
By Uwe Brauer in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-19-2004, 02:19 PM
-
By mearls in forum Laptops
Replies: 7
Last Post: 05-28-2003, 12:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99