Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Internet Cafe System

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11

    Great

    I have read all your posts and found them very interesting.

    I was wondering tho if you might know more about the knoppix-terminalservers procedures in booting it's clients so that I maybe able to get certian computers to boot a different kernel than the default one.

    I know that LTSP itself can be done by editing the dhcpd.conf but alas with knoppix it loads the etherboot.nbi file and then the kernel how can I work around this to change the kernel by computer nic cards mac address.

    Like I said I know that you can do this with LTSP but how under knoppix

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Baltimore MD
    Posts
    5

    terminal server fun

    thought id share some of the fun i've had

    for a graphics class im in here, we needed a linux based setup in the business school and they wouldnt let us do a linux dual boot hd install, so i setup a knoppix terminal server kind of setup off a main box i brought into the lab

    so like this:
    1 main server (junky box, but it works)
    30 clients running winxp (originally that is)

    started off with knoppix v3.3 hd install and after playing around a bit i figured that I had to modify some stuff. basically I wanted to customize the base system being served up to the clients to be my own version of knoppix. so what I did was take the cloop knoppix image (700mb KNOPPIX file on the cdrom) and extract it into a dir on the server.

    the initrd image has a script called linuxrc that is run on each client as it boots. I modified this so that instead of mounting the nfs exported cloop image, it mounts the base filesystem from /cdrom on the server. this required some tweaking of symlinks and such, but works nicely.

    the nice thing is if i want to install any new software on the clients, all i have to do is log in to the server, chroot into /cdrom, and apt-get install or whatever. its nice.

    biggest lesson: stuff that uses /dev does NOT like symlinks (at least the nvidia binary module didnt work with X through symlinks)

    anyway its definately possible and in fact its not really all that hard. actually i just realized that i may have made it overly complicated because i was using knoppix v3.2 on the server to serve up version 3.3

    as for performance, everything takes a bit longer to start with more than 1 client (obviously) but that could also be because my server box is just an old client box, nothing special or fast about it. once everything is booted the system is very fast. as for actual benchmarks, i dont really have any right now

    fun

    hm does anyone know if updated hd-installed terminal server scripts will be part of the next knoppix? if not we should definately get some in there. the ones i modified are more of a quick hack, but id be willing to help out with it.

    -Dom

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14

    So - can I download any of your remastered versions?

    Is there any ready solution that I could use - I mean I need just a solution for internet cafe's. ??????????????

  4. #14
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14

    So - can I download any of your remastered versions?

    Is there any ready solution that I could use - I mean I need just a solution for internet cafe's. ??????????????

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. System sounds but no internet sounds.
    By bigrobot in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-12-2005, 01:52 AM
  2. Knoppix at a Cyber café
    By luisdlc in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 07:46 AM
  3. Protection for Traveller using Internet Cafe?
    By siew in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:32 AM
  4. System Bug
    By donl in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 07:15 PM
  5. No root file system (but system works)
    By freyley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2003, 09:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$221.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99