-
Internet Cafe System
Hi Folks. Quick background...not a Linux newbie, but I'm no kernel hacker. Fairly new to Knoppix, but I'm playing and reading docs. I co-run a small computer/networking consulting business (side business.) Most of our clients have been small shops where we deploy/support Linux servers.
An idea we had for the coming year is to develop a turn-key Internet Cafe kiosk type system that we would market to local coffee shops/book shops.
Goals:
Must be very affordable for us and for our clients, both in terms of hardware, software and support.
Minimal client hardware, would prefer PXE boot. No HD, CD, or floppy on client machines.
Minimal to no client administration for on-site staff.
Minimal server administration of on-site staff.
Pleasant user experience to include Internet browsing, instant messaging, simple games, possibly light document editing and ability to print to central printer.
I am a few days or so into researching how we would actually set this up. This page has about ~90% of the functionality of what we are looking for:
http://www.dnalounge.com/backstage/src/kiosk/ Pretty much the only thing I would add to that setup would be a management system. Perhaps this:
http://akinimod.sourceforge.net/icafe.html
You will probably notice that the Knoppix CD does pretty much what the fellow above has done, thereby doing most of the 'heavy-lifting.' However, there are a few things that would probably have to be changed. I would probably want knoppix installed to a hard drive on the server. I would also want the terminal server to start automatically at bootup. For the clients, I would want them to auto login with no boot prompt. I would also want a fairly minimal client desktop (KDE, Mozilla, Gaim, Open Office, possibly a few games, and not much else.) I do want a full client desktop, however. LTSP seems aimed at just (or mostly) running everyting from the server. I have not found any clear docs on how to make LTSP function as Knoppix Terminal Server does (booting a full client desktop.)
I will have to admit that, at this point, I also haven't found too much solid information on customizing the Knoppix Terminal Server setup and/or using the Knoppix Terminal Server after doing a HD install. I will continue to research, but in the meantime, perhaps a knowledgeable person(s) can give me a few pointers.
I am not asking for detailed hand-holding at this point, but I would appreciate a general outline in the steps I would need to take to accomplish what I am tring to do, using Knoppix as a starting point.
Thanks much, and sorry for rambling.
Devlyn Davis
-
As promised, I have continued to research how to implement what I have described above and I believe I stumbled on an excellent solution.
I have followed the suggestions in this thread to get knoppix-terminal server working after a HD install: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2533
While I initially thought this was somewhat of a cludge just to get terminal server working, I am now realizing that this is an almost perfect solution for an Internet Cafe system. Here's my reasoning:
After doing the HD install with knx-hdinstall, you are left with a fairly complete server. Most, if not all of the tools you would need are ready to go. However, you may not want all of those tools available to your terminal server clients. By following the above thread, you copy the entire system to /cdrom, chroot into it and remaster as needed. Then, when you start your Terminal Server, you are sending out the remastered system in /cdrom instead of your base system.
I am still playing and will see how well it works out, though my initial testing has been very positive. In fact, I am going to try to load one of the scaled down systems such as Flonix and DSL and see if I can send those out as my Terminal Server clients (how cool would that be!) I will try to keep a log to help others in similar situations.
-Devlyn
-
I just loaded Flonix using the above described process and it worked great! The only thing that didn't load was the background image. Everything else loaded perfectly and this was with zero customization of Flonix. I'm sure with some small tweaking, the background will load.
Quick question: If you've followed this entire thread you should have an idea of the kind of client I'm looking for. Any opinions on the best scaled down customization of Knoppix would be the best candidate for said client?
Thanks!
-Devlyn
-
Just tested with Feather Linux and it works great also.
-Devlyn
-
Ummm, I don't think I have ever seen an entire thread where only one person has kept the conversation going.
You win! You are the first!
I am not slamming you, just an observation.
-
Don't worry, I'm not going Schizophrenic. And neither am I.
I'm actually quite disorganized. In addition to hoping for some helpful input from the board, I'm also posting my notes in an easily accessible location for when I need to refer back to something such as a link or procedure. And there's always the long shot that someone will find this stuff usefull.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Been there and done that myself.
Sounds like its going pretty well. Hope you can provide some full ntoes about the steps for configuration. I've seen LTSP servers used to power diskless boxes the crunch numbers for projects like seti@home or folding@home before and have read a few of those guides (for mandrake or redhat). It'd be nice to know how much is different/already done for you using knoppix.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Good post and thread devlyn.... I will try the FLONIX client install.
A question regarding your implementation... were you able (or did you ever attempt) to get the KDE login screen going for your terminal service clients? Also related to first question, did you ever assign individual user accounts for the TS clients?
-

Originally Posted by
pau1knopp
A question regarding your implementation... were you able (or did you ever attempt) to get the KDE login screen going for your terminal service clients? Also related to first question, did you ever assign individual user accounts for the TS clients?
I have not attempted to get an actual login screen such as KDM or individual user accounts for the clients. My design goal for this project would actually be to not have those. However, in an environment such as a classroom, I can see how they would be very beneficial.
I'm not sure how they would be implemented. My initial thought is that the /usr/share/knoppix-terminalserver/templates/miniroot/linuxrc script would have to be modified, but that is just a guess. The knoppix-terminalserver script may also have to be modified.
Not sure how much help I can offer in getting those two areas implemented, but if I find a solution, I will certainly post it.
-
Hi,
We have the need for a bootable CD-ROM we can use with our web-based stock control system.
It needs the hardware detection of knoppix but it must boot without a username and password straight to an X session running only mozilla (ie no window manager).
It needs to be able to print to a network printer as well.
If anyone reading this thread has the knowledge of doing this, please give me call
+44 191 460 1700
+44 773 473 6896
We'll pay you for the work and then you can release it as an ISO if you see fit.
Thanks
Andrew
Similar Threads
-
By bigrobot in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-12-2005, 01:52 AM
-
By luisdlc in forum The Lounge
Replies: 8
Last Post: 11-03-2004, 07:46 AM
-
By siew in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:32 AM
-
By donl in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-29-2004, 07:15 PM
-
By freyley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-31-2003, 09:21 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800
$59.99

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit
$199.97

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair
$323.75

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm
$48.95