Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Stalling when transferring large files to usb 2.0 drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    3

    Stalling when transferring large files to usb 2.0 drive

    The drive is an Archos Jukebox Recorder 20GB. It is basically treated as any other external usb drive. It is detected and mounts fine under Knoppix. However when I transfer a large file such as a 600MB ISO image to the drive the transfer starts slowing down almost immediately and stalls somewhere around 100MB. If I wait several seconds it will start up again but then start slowing down and stalling again after another 100MB and this keeps repeating the process. The transfer speed itself is also very slow. Under other linux distros such as Redhat and Mandrake and MandrakeMove cd as well as windows 2000 this transfer takes about a minute. In Knoppix it takes 20-30 minutes maybe more. This also seems to be present on systems with a USB 1.1 interface. With USB 1.1 on other systems tranfers take around 10 minutes for a 600MB file and in Knoppix will take over 30 minutes. I have experienced this problem on every version of Knoppix I have every tried. First version I tried I think was released in May. I have also had this problem on three completely different systems.

    homebuilt Athlon XP 2500 USB 2.0 ATI 8500 265MB RAM
    Omnitech Pentium 4 2.66GHz USB 2.0 Intel video 512RAM
    Omnitech Pentium 4 2.0GHz USB 1.1 Matrox 512RAM

    I admit I have not tried the very latest Knoppix. I am still using November 14 release and did not try November 19 yet. I did not see any kernel or usb driver updates listsed in the changelog so I suspect the problem is still there. I also have not had the chance to experement with a different usb drive. Any ideas? Anyone else experience similar problems with external hard drives (not flash) Anything I could try? Is there anything like hdparm but for usb drives? Is there some setting I am missing that I can change?

    Thanks,
    Ken

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5

    I have exactly the same problem

    Only it occurs a bit later then yours (with my drive it copies about 400MB at normal rate, then stalls and finally the copy gets aborted).
    I also tried mounting the drive manually and copying data via shell commands, there i got a "not enough space on drive" error.

    Could it be that somehow it copies data into ramdrive instead of to the actual drive?

    Any tips would be very welcome.

Similar Threads

  1. Newb Needs help transferring files via FTP
    By panzerjager88 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-16-2005, 01:35 PM
  2. Large extremely important NTFS files...
    By gurdian in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 06:39 AM
  3. Splitting large files into external FAT32 HD
    By Tito in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-12-2004, 09:50 PM
  4. Splitting large files?
    By ph28205 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-13-2004, 02:37 PM
  5. Need help transferring my files
    By nechronics in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 12:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.75