I've only seen this (and not with a first HD) when cabling and jumpering were suspect and/or a slower drive was "upstream" of the drive reporting the errors.
Is dma enabled for the drive in the bios? Check cabling and jumpering.
Hi
I just installed Knoppix onto hard disk, to co-exist with Windows 98 on the other partition. Install went fine but the system hangs towards the end of booting with the following text:
hda: dma_timer_expiry dma status==0x20
hda: timeout waiting for dma
hda: __idle_dma_test_irq called while not waiting
hda: status error 0x58 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest}
hda: drive not ready for command
Any suggestions greatly received.
Thanks
--mco
I've only seen this (and not with a first HD) when cabling and jumpering were suspect and/or a slower drive was "upstream" of the drive reporting the errors.
Is dma enabled for the drive in the bios? Check cabling and jumpering.
Thanks.
How can I find out if DMA is enabled?
I also noticed a few other things earlier in the boot text.
hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 >
ide late registration of driver
Also, looking at the disk with Partition Magic in Windows has it
complaining about some crossing of 1024Mb boundary.
Could this be a disk layout problem and not hardware/drivers?
Thanks
--mco

HPE SK Hynix 32GB PC4-2400T HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH ECC RDIMM Server Memory Module
$165.00
SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98
Synology 4GB ECC SOD DDR4 D4ES04-4G
$129.99
SAMSUNG M393A4K40CB2-CVF 32GB PC4-23400 2933 RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY 32GB 2933MHZ
$239.99
SKhynix HMA41GU7AFR8N-TF 32GB (4x8GB) PC4-2133P DDR4 ECC RAM
$105.00
Lot of 12 SK Hynix 64GB PC4-2666V LRDIMM Server Memory RAM HMAA8GL7CPR4N -Tested
$4200.00
SK hynix 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Registered RDIMM HMA84GR7JJR4N-VK
$799.00
Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2400T-E DDR4 UDIMM ECC Memory MTA18ASF2G72AZ-2G3B1
$194.52
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00