-
Black screen...
Knoppix has been nothing but trouble for me so far. Finally though Ive gotten to the point where I can boot from the CD, and I get to the boot: screen. No matter what I type at this screen, the screen goes black, UNLESS I type failsafe. In that case, it just gives me a CRC error. I have no clue what that is, but maybe someone here does. Right now Im running Windows XP Home Edition on a Dell PC. The specs are:
2.0ghz Pentium 4 Processor
40gig harddrive
256ram
64mb NVidia Geforce4 MX w/ TV out
Liteon DVD+/-RW LDW-4115
Liteon DVD-Rom LTD163
Standard PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse
Cnet Pro200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
I have no idea what could be causing this problem, hopefully someone here might be able to help though. BTW, I am a comlpete newbie with Linux, this will be my first time ever using a distro.
UPDATE:
If I try booting with: "failsafe lang=us" then it gets to the part where it says "Uncompressing Linux..." then it gives me the CRC error, and it says System Halted. Then I have to reboot manually
UPDATE 2:
I tried reburning the image with Nero at a slower speed (8x as opposed to 32x the first time), but Im still getting the CRC error when I try to run in failsafe mode.
-
I just tried starting Knoppix inside VMWare, and it got me alot further when I booted from drive E: instead of drive D:. However, when I try to run it on my actual computer, it always just tries to boot from drive D. Is there any way I can change this?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Try "knoppix testcd" at the boot prompt, it will check your media before actually booting. You will at least know if that's your problem.
-
Senior Member
registered user
After that, you might try disconnecting one of the CD/DVD devices temporarily. Beware of cabling and jumprering errors.
Similar Threads
-
By mikeym9477 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-08-2004, 04:59 AM
-
By vinraec in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-28-2004, 04:32 PM
-
By Eponick in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-19-2004, 02:36 AM
-
By mperry2014 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-29-2003, 05:58 AM
-
By Jmack0013 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-18-2003, 04:57 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Ubiquiti UniFi VoIP UVP
$85.00

Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth
$39.99

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Cisco CP-8851-K9 CP-8851 VoIP Business IP Phone Color Display PoE NEW
$125.00

UBIQUITI UVP-TOUCH VoIP Desktop Touchscreen Smart Phone
$55.00

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Cisco CP-7841-K9 4-Line Gigabit VoIP IP Phone PoE Office Desk 3.5" Display NEW
$89.99

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

YEALINK W60B DECT VoIP BASE STATION VOIP SIP FOR UP TO 8 HANDSETS + OEM ADPTR
$50.00