Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Windows registry lost after running Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5

    Windows registry lost after running Knoppix

    Yesterday I tried out Knoppix. Nice thing.
    But when I booted back to Windows XP this morning, my registry was gone. Missing file: c:\windows\system\Config
    Has anyone seen this problem?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    This sounds like FUD to me. Knoppix does not touch your windoze stuff unless you ask it to do so.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5
    I tried running some windows apps under WINE. Could this be the reason?

    I'll just run the ol' "scanreg /restore" to fix it, and try to reproduce the error as soon as I've backed up my data.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Is your XP sitting on an ntfs filesystem ?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23
    Are you using NTFS on the WinXP drive? If so the chances of Knoppix damaging anything, even through wine is minimal since it can't write to NTFS disks. (Unless you manually mounted the disks read/write and enabling the NOT recommended write features that specifically warn you about filesystem damages.)

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5
    I'm running WinXP on NTFS. I've not mounted NTFS in Knoppix other than the default mounting. I wouldn't dare mounting NTFS as r/w under any linux.
    I don't understand what has happened here. This is my first serious WinXP crash, and I've been running it since it's release. This is also a fairly fresh WinXP installation, only 6 months or so.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5
    This shouldn't have anything to do with Knoppix.

    I have seen this problem MANY times before on a machine with an old version of XP (one of the beta versions of XP that was doing the rounds a couple of years ago). Basically with some hardware, the shutdown process doesn't manage to write all the registry files before powering off the machine, and this screws the system. Why anyone would ever design an OS where files required for boot get routinely modified during the running (and closing down) of the system, I do not know. That's just asking for trouble. I thought Microsoft would have fixed this problem by now.


    The file you are missing has a backup in the REPAIR directory on windows. So you just need to copy that file to the necessary location \windows\system32\config\

    You can use Knoppix to browse your windows directory, but I'm not sure you will be able to do the copy the file using Knoppix if your XP installation lives on an NT partition. Otherwise you can defintely use Knoppix to rescue your system.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41
    The post above sounds exactly right. I've seen damaged XP registry problems many times, especially on machines with IDE RAID arrays. XP tells the computer to turn off while the disk controller is still writing to the disk from its buffer. So the last file being written (the system hive) becomes broken.

    This is an XP problem (a common one) and not a Knoppix problem. However, you will be able to use Knoppix to fix this problem on a crashed XP machine as soon as NTFS write suppport (via Captive) is added.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5
    My system uses a single ATA133-disk.
    It may be a freak accident as you say. I just think its weird that it happened in the last of hundreds of WinXP shutdowns before booting Knoppix.
    I tried system restore, but it didn't help. I'll try getting the backup registry Alex.
    Thanks.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    7
    You may want to check out this thread and look at bitdefender a recent knoppix remaster with ntfs write support

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6546#32873

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Recovery from Windows Registry error.
    By johnfila in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 05:46 PM
  2. Accessing Windows Registry Through Knoppix
    By kaplan71 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 10:09 AM
  3. Possible to remove spyware Windows registry files w/Knoppix?
    By adkmom in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 04:34 PM
  4. Editing the Windows Registry?
    By HitmanKB in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 07:34 PM
  5. windows registry
    By punk000 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 02:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller

$295.00