-

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
Why not just install to hdd with knoppix-installer?
Regards,
This wasn't addressed to me but since I am going down the same path I thought I'd answer.
I have a small home server that I built years ago. I got fancy and used removable hard drive cages so I could make exact disk duplicates of my HD as a backup and swap them out when needed. I've found over the years that the HD's develope bad sectors and other problems, pretty much making my disk dup efforts for naught. I've also seen bit rot creep into the system (a Mandrake system) and now the RPM database is totally hosed. I also find it difficult to get a small OS system from the major Linux distro's. They are just packed with junk.
I am after a rock solid OS loader that will not change and that is minimal in size. I happen to be trying to remaster Morphix Light to start out with a smallish system. With the OS on CD I can make multiple copies - I even plan on putting the saved configuration (as a template), the basic web data and tools I used to remaster right on the CD so swaping the entire server out or making another remaster would be a snap.
I guess the short answer is; portability, unchangability, small size and possibly that ability to run from RAM (toram option) to allow the HD to spin down once in a while. Plus I just want to do it
Similar Threads
-
By hall in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-11-2005, 10:27 AM
-
By tazzi in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-26-2004, 12:29 AM
-
By rubis in forum General Support
Replies: 14
Last Post: 11-26-2003, 04:44 PM
-
By pilovis in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-28-2003, 09:17 PM
-
By TheSovereign in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-11-2003, 12:53 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$298.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$640.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Firewalla Gold SE Firewall VPN Network Security Appliance Black/Yellow
$350.00

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00