I like the Idea! Did you ask Klaus Knopper?
Friends,
I was wondering if supermount-ng kernel patch is being considered for upcoming releases of Knoppix?
http://supermount-ng.sourceforge.net/
Seems to work fine in Lindows' and Xandros' distros; CDs load and eject without a hitch -- nice.
Rick
I like the Idea! Did you ask Klaus Knopper?
Err ... no. I wasn't aware that I could ask Klause personally -- figured he scanned the forum once in a while for feedback. I'll look into this. Thanx.
Rick
Klaus has nothing to do with the management of Knoppix.net. He may look at things over here once in a while, but I think it's infrequent. You would do best to put in an email to the Knoppix developers list. I too think this would be a good idea though.
Knoppix don't come with automount? Try using it!
I had a talk with Marcelo Tossati (2.4.x kernell mantainer) and ask if it was going to be part of the new kernells, so for short he say that supermount was a hack an it is best to use automount.
We used to compile Kernells only to patch supermount inside and it is a lot of work, and Automount looks like don't need all this.
Isn't removing drives dangerous when using automount? As I understood, supermount-ng always "flushes" the cache so that you can remove drives at any time, while automount doesn't.Originally Posted by vmedina
And, how do I enable automount for all my drives easily?
Exactly. Automount is a pain in the ass compared to supermount. This is still a good idea.Originally Posted by probono
I agree, I really think supermount should be included. easier than automount, nice automagical behaviour... which fits knoppix, imho.
SuSE seems also to go with it in their upcoming 9.1 release:
"For Linux veterans, the time has come to part with a Linux peculiarity many have become fond of: the mounting and unmounting of removable media. CDs and DVDs can now be ejected with a button click without having to unmount them manually. "
http://www.suse.de/en/private/produc...interview.html
It's also discussed with Kano for Kanotix... let's see who'll have it first...

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1774.24
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$349.48
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$15.99
Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$461.10
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Micron 1TB NVMe Gen4 X4 M.2 2280 Solid State Drive
$90.00
Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$288.98
2026 NEW SGIN 15.6" Laptop Win11 Intel i3 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Wi-Fi 6 RJ45 USB-C
$302.99