Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: supermount-ng

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    25

    supermount-ng

    Friends,
    I was wondering if supermount-ng kernel patch is being considered for upcoming releases of Knoppix?
    http://supermount-ng.sourceforge.net/
    Seems to work fine in Lindows' and Xandros' distros; CDs load and eject without a hitch -- nice.

    Rick

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    I like the Idea! Did you ask Klaus Knopper?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    25
    Err ... no. I wasn't aware that I could ask Klause personally -- figured he scanned the forum once in a while for feedback. I'll look into this. Thanx.

    Rick

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Klaus has nothing to do with the management of Knoppix.net. He may look at things over here once in a while, but I think it's infrequent. You would do best to put in an email to the Knoppix developers list. I too think this would be a good idea though.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2

    Automount?

    Knoppix don't come with automount? Try using it!
    I had a talk with Marcelo Tossati (2.4.x kernell mantainer) and ask if it was going to be part of the new kernells, so for short he say that supermount was a hack an it is best to use automount.
    We used to compile Kernells only to patch supermount inside and it is a lot of work, and Automount looks like don't need all this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159

    Re: Automount?

    Quote Originally Posted by vmedina
    Knoppix don't come with automount?
    Isn't removing drives dangerous when using automount? As I understood, supermount-ng always "flushes" the cache so that you can remove drives at any time, while automount doesn't.

    And, how do I enable automount for all my drives easily?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Automount?

    Quote Originally Posted by probono
    Quote Originally Posted by vmedina
    Knoppix don't come with automount?
    Isn't removing drives dangerous when using automount? As I understood, supermount-ng always "flushes" the cache so that you can remove drives at any time, while automount doesn't.

    And, how do I enable automount for all my drives easily?
    Exactly. Automount is a pain in the ass compared to supermount. This is still a good idea.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    I agree, I really think supermount should be included. easier than automount, nice automagical behaviour... which fits knoppix, imho.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    SuSE seems also to go with it in their upcoming 9.1 release:

    "For Linux veterans, the time has come to part with a Linux peculiarity many have become fond of: the mounting and unmounting of removable media. CDs and DVDs can now be ejected with a button click without having to unmount them manually. "

    http://www.suse.de/en/private/produc...interview.html

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    It's also discussed with Kano for Kanotix... let's see who'll have it first...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. USB hard drive supermount?
    By jefro in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 10:37 PM
  2. automounting - supermount ?!
    By raptor in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 07:52 AM
  3. How to install supermount kernel patch?
    By eracerbit in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 12:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00