Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: XFree86 S3 Trio64v2 not recognized

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    163

    XFree86 S3 Trio64v2 not recognized

    I'm having a problem with XFree86 not recognizing S3 Trio64v2. I used the XFree86 "xf86config" script with no avail. I'm trying to update Knoppix/Debian with "apt-get update" and "apt-get dist-upgrade" to see if that'll fix the problem.
    Does anyone have a solution meanwhile?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I presume this is an hdd install. Does the Knopix cd detect the video card correctlly? Which xserver is XFree configured to use? I believe you should be able to use the s3 driver but try vesa of that doesn't work.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    163

    Ghosted

    No, it's not a normal installation. I Ghosted the PC, that's what's causing the problem

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Well first of all we should have you flogged with balogna for using norton when there are OSS apps that do a better job but since it's your first time...:P

    It shouldnt really matter tho presuming your hardware is the same. Still my first questions are relevant.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    163

    Knoppix CD

    The Knoppix CD detects the video card correctly. It's weird

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    OK so if Knoppix works then try to duplicate that on your hdd install. Which xserver is being used? Which drivers are loaded?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    163

    More info

    I tried to tweak the /etc/X11/XF86Config file but with no success. I can't install Knoppix on the PC because the harddisk is too small.
    I'm not sure what you mean by xserver. I use the XFree86 that comes with Knoppix 3.3 because apt-upgrading the distro kills the PC.
    I don't know how to check which drivers are loaded.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    163

    Problem solved

    I solved the problem by booting from CD on the affected PC. Then I saved the /etc/X11/ files to a floppy, rebooted from harddisk, overwrote the /etc/X11/ files, and rebooted again.
    So, it turned out that booting from CD would create perfect /etc/X11/ configuration files

Similar Threads

  1. Xfree86 version?
    By beige_matchbox in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2005, 05:45 PM
  2. XFree86 AND X11
    By RE Dude in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 04:10 PM
  3. Xfree86 4.3.x
    By Viro in forum Ideas
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 07:02 PM
  4. XFree86 4.3 Update
    By cobalt139 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-12-2003, 10:39 PM
  5. xfree86 4.3
    By good_karma69 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 01:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.58