-
knoppix & USB hard drive
OK, this is the problem: My windows are f*ked up and I can't start them. My hard drive is made from just 1 partition and formatting the disk will erase date that I need. So, I thought of knoppix... I start the knoppix and than I would connect one Hard drive to USB and copy the data that I need from the first drive to this one I have on USB. And than when I backup my data I would format the first drive.
Can this be done?
Thanx
knoxx
-
Senior Member
registered user
It can be done as long as the hard drive you have on USB is formatted in Fat32 filesystem or a linux filesystem (like ext3 or ReiserFS). Knoppix can't write to a NTFS drive, it can onlt read it.
There is another tool called "emergency boot cd" that is designed for windows rescues (http://www.t4k.org/~ebcd/) and will write to NTFS.
-
Off course you can do that.
But I have had problems coneecting USB-IDE drives to knoppix. I had one USE 1.1-IDE enclosure and wasn't able to recognize it under knoppix. I replace that case with a shiny new USB2, And the new one works perfectly under knoppix.
If your case doesn't work, you can try to connect your spare hdd inside the box. In this case you will 100% sure thay knoppix will recognize it.
Similar Threads
-
By maxer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-06-2004, 06:02 AM
-
By Bubba in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-17-2004, 06:19 PM
-
By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 19
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
-
By DimGR in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-30-2004, 06:39 PM
-
By stupidkid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-28-2003, 06:59 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping
$50.00

Samsung 8GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC Unbuffered RAM Memory UDIMM M391A1K43BB2-CTDQ
$20.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99

Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20" 1600x900 Resolution WideScreen LCD Monitor
$41.00

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00