Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: kernel-image-2.6.*

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13

    kernel-image-2.6.*

    Hello Knoppix-Friends,
    i try to install the kernel with apt-get install kernel-image-2.6...
    The installation works fine without any failure message.
    I configure with liloconf my bootmanager to use the new installed kernel.
    My system doesn't boots with this kernel-image!
    With my old kernel-image the system boots without any problem!
    Why?
    Does anyone knows how to get the kernel-image-2.6.1 with apt-get,
    because i think the 2.6.1 is released?
    Thankx,
    mgsimon

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3

    Re: kernel-image-2.6.*

    I have the same problem as mgsimon.
    I can ad mybe some symptoms.

    I installed the 2.6.0-K7 kernel-image by apt. And did the lilo configuration by editing lilo.conf, like it was proposed by the debconf script of the kernel image.
    Here is the part of my lilo.conf. "Linux" is my old kernel.

    default="Linux"

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
    label=Linux
    initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
    read-only

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0-1-k7
    label="Linux K7"
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.0-1-k7
    read-only
    optional

    Lilo don't wants to boot "Linux K7" it jumps back to "Linux"
    When I set the default to "Linux K7" it boots this image.(It takes al long time because this image is not compressed, what I don't understand.) and after this nothing happens. I get a blank screen.

    Can any body help us?

    I dont understand the "map=.." entry in lilo couldn't get enougth information from the man pages. In apt installed a map_2.6.0-K7 file in boot but the entry points to the old one. I didn't want to change because there is only one global entry in lilo.conf and the old map file loks cryptyc, whereas the new one is cleartext.

    Cheers GulGarak



    Quote Originally Posted by mgsimon
    Hello Knoppix-Friends,
    i try to install the kernel with apt-get install kernel-image-2.6...
    The installation works fine without any failure message.
    I configure with liloconf my bootmanager to use the new installed kernel.
    My system doesn't boots with this kernel-image!
    With my old kernel-image the system boots without any problem!
    Why?
    Does anyone knows how to get the kernel-image-2.6.1 with apt-get,
    because i think e 2.6.1 is released?
    Thankx,
    mgsimon

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3

    Not the usual Kernel upgrade problems

    Hi
    I found some help on an similar problem like this in the HD-installforum, se posting "Not the usual Kernel upgrade problems".
    (And I think that this would be the better place for this questins )

    I tried vga=0 in lilo.conf and was able to boot the new kernel 2.4.22-K7 but not 2.6.0-K7 with this method but only when i made this image as default.
    On manualy selection it jumps back to the original knoppix-kernel.

    Does anybody know why???

    Greets

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    It-Lee
    Posts
    15
    I was having the same problem. I compiled my own kernel instead of using apt-get, and finally got 2.6.0 to boot ... without TTY!!

    I upgraded (with apt-get) to the latest LILO, and after some symlink editing, I'm rockin'. Here's the pertinent part of my /etc/lilo.conf-'default' is my 2.4.22 kernel, 'KnoppixNK' is the 2.6.0 kernel:

    # Boot up Linux by default.
    #
    default=Knoppix-3.2

    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label=Knoppix-3.2
    initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
    read-only
    # restricted
    # alias=1

    image=/boot/vmlinuz.old
    label=KnoppixNK
    read-only
    # optional
    # restricted
    # alias=2

    other=/dev/hda1
    label="WindowsXP"
    # chainloader=(hd0,0)+1

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: kernel-image-2.6.*

    Quote Originally Posted by mgsimon
    Hello Knoppix-Friends,
    i try to install the kernel with apt-get install kernel-image-2.6...
    The installation works fine without any failure message.
    I configure with liloconf my bootmanager to use the new installed kernel.
    My system doesn't boots with this kernel-image!
    With my old kernel-image the system boots without any problem!
    Why?
    Does anyone knows how to get the kernel-image-2.6.1 with apt-get,
    because i think the 2.6.1 is released?
    Thankx,
    mgsimon
    I see no mention of installing the module-init-tools package which is required to boot a 2.6 kernel properly and you want this in your /etc/fstab:
    Code:
    ## Needed for kernel 2.6
    none           /sys            sysfs   defaults                0       0

Similar Threads

  1. apt-get Kernel-image problem...
    By Stealth870 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 02:01 PM
  2. Kernel 2.6.9 Image deb
    By llinde in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 08:55 PM
  3. Can't find kernel image - Newbie needs help
    By ozone in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 03:15 PM
  4. apt-get kernel-image-*
    By Stealth870 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-30-2004, 07:11 PM
  5. could not find kernel image: linux
    By aykuty in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 07:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC picture

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC

$115.00