Cannot help with your problem other than to suggest an new cdrom. But I have a k6-2, 350 desktop and it installed great after I got a modern cdrom for it.
![]()
I posted this as a reply to another topic, but thought it may get more response with a new topic...
Any ideas on how to get Knoppix/Debian on this box?
I have an old Compaq Presario 1245 laptop. It has an AMD K6-2 3D-Now! 333 Mhz processor, 128 MB Ram, NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD 2 MB video, a 3.2 GB HD, and a USB port.
The CD-ROM is bad, doesn't work. This laptop currently has no OS loaded. I've been trying for 2 days to get Debian Woody installed by booting from a floppy, configuring the PCMCIA network card, and installing via the network. It downloads all of the base packages, but errors out when it start installing/configuring the system.
What I really wanted to do was to do a HD-install of Knoppix, but the CD-ROM doesn't work. How else could I get Knoppix/Debian installed on this thing?
Thanks,
BamaRob
Cannot help with your problem other than to suggest an new cdrom. But I have a k6-2, 350 desktop and it installed great after I got a modern cdrom for it.
![]()
Also, about the time that these machines were built, the cdroms that were available didn't support booting from them with iso's as we have now. Cannot remember what the diff's are, but some format isn't supported on older cdroms.. that is why I had to buy a newer rom for mine. Just fyi. 350 desktop that is. Dec 1998 manuf. date.

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00
20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive
$349.99
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$58.00
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95