-
Partition Advice - Multi-boots
I have been messing with a variety of linuxes lately and learned more than I intended about the guts of the install process due to my choice of a nVidia motherboard. So, finally, I am fairly confident that can get my hardware running after a HD install.
I have a plan now to run a dual boot system with a HD install of Knoppix (or possibly Morphix) as my work desktop and Knoppmyth (Knoppix flavor for the MythTV suite of multimedia and PVR apps). So, basically, I would like to set up Lilo or Grub to boot these. I am still working out partitioning a drive for this purpose. I have an 80G drive. What I would like to do is something like this:
hda1 4G Knoppix (with some other apps I need to work like emacs)
hda2 1G Swap
hda3 4G Knoppmyth
hda4 71G /home (for /home/me and /home/myth and /home/others)
I don't remember how much room Knoppmyth wants for / but it might be more and the standard install actually sets up a bunch of partitions that made sense the first time I tried it on a fresh drive, but I don't remember the specifics. So:
Can I use the swap for both? Does that cause any problems?
Can I have two different distributions point to hda4 without any problems? I know each distribution will have its own fstab to set all the mounts, but I need to review that concept again.
So many multi-boot how-to's get bogged down in the MS issues. I am just interested in the linux side.
I am curious about other installs like this. There are a bunch of specialized distributions out there and I know many people keep a few around just for variety. What have other people done?
Thanks for any advice.
nrj
Similar Threads
-
By mathis in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-30-2004, 04:27 PM
-
By tautges in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-04-2004, 10:22 PM
-
By Ross Clement in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-26-2003, 07:23 AM
-
By nuke in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-09-2003, 03:26 PM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-09-2003, 04:04 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$12.00

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01