-
Thanks for the confirmation, Baldyeti.
My understanding of partitions is still at the novice level. What advantage would I have mounting hda3 onto /KnopMyth and /hda1 onto /Knopp. Would this make it easier to access files on one system (Knoppix, say) when using the other system (KnopMyth)?
If I were to use a 32Mb hda1, how would I set that up? Just make the partition, install lilo there and make extended partitions for the rest of my setup? Is there any +/- to using a primary vs an extended partition for anything that I have proposed?
I would guess to answer that, you would need to know what I intend to do.
In my /home directory, I would like to back up my photos and music collection (~15G, but growing...). I have them on a powerbook right now. I like the MythTv interface for music and pics, but macs have the import/export of photos and music perfect. I would like to be able to place my rarely used media on the Linux box (and eventually backups of everything). I was hoping to have a shared file (samba?) in the /home directory to access this data when I need to from other computers.
Also, once I start recording some tv, it would be nice to be able to access those files over a share. I have some ideas about how to do this, but do you have any suggestions for making this work efficiently?
Realizing, of course, that it is probably an inefficient idea...
To put it simply, we are running a small lan right now with 3 (2 macs and a XP) notebooks on wireless and the linux machine plugged in. Eventually, I would like to make the linux box the server and have the notebooks put any backups on it.
Thanks, nrj
PS Damn, now I wish I had imagined a name as funny as baldyeti....
Similar Threads
-
By mathis in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-30-2004, 04:27 PM
-
By tautges in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-04-2004, 10:22 PM
-
By Ross Clement in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-26-2003, 07:23 AM
-
By nuke in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-09-2003, 03:26 PM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-09-2003, 04:04 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95