Thanks for the help baldyeti and Stephen,

I am taking a fresh crack at this tonight and will make sure I have the full path and that everything is mounted.

Stephen, I think I understand what you suggest and it seems easy, but just to confirm where each of the actions happen, does this sound right?

I install Knoppmyth on hda3 and tell it to install lilo on the root of hda3. The lilo.conf will look like

boot= /dev/hda3

image= /boot/`myth image'
label= knoppmyth
root= /dev/hda3

run lilo -v -b /dev/hda3

my lilo.conf on hda1 (and thus referring to the lilo on mbr) will look like this:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map

image=/boot/`knoppix_image'
label=Knoppix
root=/dev/hda1

other=/dev/hda3
label=MythTV

run lilo after this edit. right? then it will give me the options

Knopp ----------> Loads Knoppix
MythTV ----------> This will just skip to /dev/hda3, which loads lilo on
boot of KnoppMyth
(as you said, with low delay, it will default to the knoppmyth)

is it true that I don't need to specify the complete path (/dev/hda3/boot/`myth image') since the lilo will be running from the hda3 already?