Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: cd has gone bad?

  1. #1

    cd has gone bad?

    the first two times I booted knoppix with my CD, it worked fine. however, on the third time it crashed during a game and I had to shut my pc down. following that, every time I boot with the CD it hangs after it detects my processor or right after that when it's loading the power management daemon. do I just have a bad cd or what?

  2. #2
    ok an update! I used the testcd cheatcode and left it running while I fixed a pot pie and when I came back knoppix has booted all the way so evidently the cd is ok. I'm runnin' the latest version of 3.3 if thats of any help!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5
    You say it booted the whole way.
    Do you mean that you came back from your pot pie and saw the desktop? Or did you actually see the command line message which says "Everything appears to be OK" before it started up the desktop.

    You see, the CD can continue to boot up and give you the desktop (in test mode) even if you have a corrupt KNOPPIX image.

    Try do ctrl-alt-f1 from the desktop and see if you can see any of the messages.

    Failing that, just watch all the command line messages as they appear in test mode. Checking the KNOPPIX file is slow, but at least you'll know for sure that way.

  4. #4
    yeah, when I came back I was looking at the desktop. as I was shutting down, I saw that the "Everything appears to be OK" message appeared at the end of the test.

    I've done some more experimenting and I've found that if I boot into windows and then reboot with the cd, it works, but if I just turn my pc on and try to boot off the cd, it hangs. so I imagine it's a problem with my hardware and not with knoppix.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$739.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA  HDD picture

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD

$14.99



9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US picture

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US

$49.50



Sony Ruggedized Raid PSZ-RA Thunderbolt 2 Portable RAID Array (12TB) picture

Sony Ruggedized Raid PSZ-RA Thunderbolt 2 Portable RAID Array (12TB)

$419.00