Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: cd has gone bad?

  1. #1

    cd has gone bad?

    the first two times I booted knoppix with my CD, it worked fine. however, on the third time it crashed during a game and I had to shut my pc down. following that, every time I boot with the CD it hangs after it detects my processor or right after that when it's loading the power management daemon. do I just have a bad cd or what?

  2. #2
    ok an update! I used the testcd cheatcode and left it running while I fixed a pot pie and when I came back knoppix has booted all the way so evidently the cd is ok. I'm runnin' the latest version of 3.3 if thats of any help!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5
    You say it booted the whole way.
    Do you mean that you came back from your pot pie and saw the desktop? Or did you actually see the command line message which says "Everything appears to be OK" before it started up the desktop.

    You see, the CD can continue to boot up and give you the desktop (in test mode) even if you have a corrupt KNOPPIX image.

    Try do ctrl-alt-f1 from the desktop and see if you can see any of the messages.

    Failing that, just watch all the command line messages as they appear in test mode. Checking the KNOPPIX file is slow, but at least you'll know for sure that way.

  4. #4
    yeah, when I came back I was looking at the desktop. as I was shutting down, I saw that the "Everything appears to be OK" message appeared at the end of the test.

    I've done some more experimenting and I've found that if I boot into windows and then reboot with the cd, it works, but if I just turn my pc on and try to boot off the cd, it hangs. so I imagine it's a problem with my hardware and not with knoppix.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore 64 Vintage Computer System *PARTS/AS IS* picture

Commodore 64 Vintage Computer System *PARTS/AS IS*

$70.00



Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords picture

Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords

$149.99



Commodore 64 disk drive - enhancer 2000 & 30 disks picture

Commodore 64 disk drive - enhancer 2000 & 30 disks

$110.00



Vtg 128 / 64 Commodore 1541-II Computer Disk Drive in Box 5.25 Floppy (Working) picture

Vtg 128 / 64 Commodore 1541-II Computer Disk Drive in Box 5.25 Floppy (Working)

$89.99



RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on picture

RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on

$70.00



Commodore 64 Drive Alignment & Utility Diskette picture

Commodore 64 Drive Alignment & Utility Diskette

$9.99