-
First try at open source, but missing a driver I think
Hi to everyone here. I took my first step toward open source tonight by trying to run Knoppix on an old 486 (with Win 95), not that i intend using it on that machine, I just wanted to see how it looked and worked. AFter figuring out how to make a boot floppy (no CD-ROM boot option in the BIOS--it's that old), things were going fine until the following:
Starting X11...root@tty1[/]#..
Retrying with Server XFree86 (vesa)
Error: No suitable X-server found for your card.
Retrying with Server XFree 86 (fbdev)._
That's where it stopped. I don't know anything yet about open source commands but I assume that a driver or some such thing wasn't available on the CD for a particula component. Is that the case, and if so, is it possible to get drivers for hardware that aren't included on the CD?
-
Junior Member
registered user
I dont know what video card you have, but you might try when the boot screen comes up typing in
knoppix screen=640x480
in case your board doesnt support superVGA. I dont know the use of other ouput related parms for knoppix. hopefully someone else will let you know.
-
Junior Member
registered user
It seems that X does not support whatever graphics card is in your box.
Take a look at http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/Status.html to see if it's supported.
It's probably not a good idea to try and run Knoppix on a 486 system anyway. It will run horribly slow.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have a card that does this- a matrox pci card mystique 2 I think.
It works if I boot at low resolution usinga cheatcode-
knoppix screen=800x600
or in text mode with-
knoppix 2
-
As you've suggested, it's a very old graphics card that isn't supported. I'm getting another computer within the week which I'll be trying Knoppix and a few other distros on, so I'm not going to pursue the 486 anymore. I was just anxious to see how Knoppix looked and worked, and being new to open source, I didn't know what was happening when it stopped.
Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the near future. And thanks for the very useful link, tommydl, I saved it for future reference.

Edit: By the way, the card is Trident Super VGA if than means anything (I don't know the model and not willing to go into the box to find out since I'm getting another comp soon).
Similar Threads
-
By firefly2442 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-18-2005, 03:43 PM
-
By BillS in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-05-2005, 02:35 PM
-
By j.drake in forum Ideas
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-19-2004, 11:40 AM
-
By garyng in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-01-2003, 05:56 PM
-
By Tortoise in forum The Lounge
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-18-2003, 01:58 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(32GB x10) 320 GB Kingston PC4-2933Y DDR4 ECC Registered (Server)
$1600.00

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6
$210.00

Lot of 10 Samsung 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SODIMM M471A2G43AB2-CWE 160GB
$1319.99

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Samsung M393A2G40DB0-CPB
$475.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ
$469.95

NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3
$550.00