-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi I did a knoppix style hard drive install (as opposed to a default Debian install) which boots up directly into knoppix user desktop. I used the knoppix-installer script. In the configuration section of the script there is a section: Name-Options.
Here you fill-out your full name, username, password(twice),root password(twice) and host name. None of which is transfered to the hard drive except for the new root password. Also there is no real login. You go from boot to a knoppix desktop. Lilo is the only way to password protect your linux install. I saw this thread and decided to work on it. Thanks to the people here for puttin me on track. This is how I went about changing some of the system defaults to get a system I am happier with.
Create user accounts
Kstart/System/KUser
Create another user, password,home, ect. As also posted earlier was to give your users the same groups as knoppix to enjoy the same level access you have now and still have some security.
After some searching I found the service: kdm
Open up the SysV-init editor. Add the service: kdm at each level 0 thru 5 in the start columns. I moved them all to the start columns at the top half of the page. They all had a sorting level of less than 20. The sorting level can be accessed thru right click/ properties.
Added service: initd at level 5 start, also a low sorting level. While I was there I also started sysklog and hotplug also init 5.
save/ exit.
Kstart/Settings/Control Center/Log-in Manager/Convenience
Preselect User/Specify(select)/User: knoppix/Focus Password(select). These should be the only ones selected on this tab.
You can probably change the user although I havent tried that yet.
Try right clicking on the desktop and loging out.
You should be at a shiny new login. Now try a reboot. I had to reboot twice to get a login.
Some info on setting the hostname:
http://www.cpqlinux.com/hostname.html
let me know how you make out.
johnb
Similar Threads
-
By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
-
By SunnyB in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-04-2003, 05:47 AM
-
By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-18-2003, 12:22 PM
-
By CyberBug84 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-02-2003, 09:14 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM
$344.97

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99