Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: CD ROM not accesible after hdinstall, thank u!

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14

    breakthrough!

    Hi all,
    I managed to reinstall knoppix differently this time, Instead of knx-hdinstall, I did knoppix-installer.
    This time it correctly linked my DVD & CD-RW.

    I wonder why knoppix correctly linked my CDs & Fdd this time round, I know that knoppix-installer is a different process.

    I coppied the fstab from the new install so that you can see the difference to the first one I copied off the fstab from the non working install earlier.



    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
    /dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=kno ppix 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda6 none swap defaults 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0




    Thank you all for your help, I've learnt a lot since my last post. Thanks again!
    R.

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14
    i had excactly the same problems but after reading this tread and saw knoppix-installer solved ur problems i tried it to and voila everything works fine now

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14

    through my fumbling around, I accidentaly helped someone 2!

    Hi Dutch noob,

    Thanks for the note, it's funny that I actualy helped you while I was acting like a blind man without a cane!

    It's a great feeling to work out issues in Linux.
    Even if we're noobs, it's only a matter of time b4 we start to get a good grip & start helping others on board this Great Linux spaceship, perseverence is the word!

    Good like to you Dutch, & many thanks to all the you guys who helped me!

    Ricardo
    (Down under)

  4. #14
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14

    I use a spare HDD to practice all my installs

    Hi all,

    Just a thought, I do a final install of Knoppix after I've experimented with a spare HDD. This way I can totaly screw up & install without any fear or stress of crippling my main HDD & actualy learn a lot more that way than if I nervously tried to "get it right" the first time I install.

    I use a spare 12gb notebook hdd, cause I'm a laptop motherboard technician & have spare parts to play with.


    My attitude to learning Linux is, don't over do it, if you can't figure out a problem, just sleep on it, the answer will come. Treat it like play & you'll always enjoy it.

    And always look at how far you've come, instead of how far you have to go. After all, you're playing with Debian, & that's got to be the best Linux to learn with.

    Good luck to all!
    R.

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14
    yeah its hard to do some thing with linux but when u keep trieing and playing with it u learn it afterall

    and i am glad we got so much support from other linux user they r to kind
    and i hope in the near future i am posting things that can help other people with there problems


    but i still find it weird that when u instal knx with knx-hdinstall it not link the cd roms correctly and when u instal it with knoppix-installer it does ?

    but oke there r lots of thing that i dont understand yet but iv got lots of time to learn it

    and yes i am a total noob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. knx-hdinstall??
    By Stackout in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 05:13 AM
  2. knx-hdinstall
    By ivansv in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 02:41 PM
  3. Knx-hdinstall
    By Abehome in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2003, 04:20 AM
  4. New knx-hdinstall
    By Incubii in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 05:50 AM
  5. knx-hdinstall
    By Ambrose in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2003, 01:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RARE NEW Leading Edge Model DC-2014 Keyboard Vintage PC Keystroke Sound ALPS picture

RARE NEW Leading Edge Model DC-2014 Keyboard Vintage PC Keystroke Sound ALPS

$349.95



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra picture

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra

$120.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage Used Computer Motherboard Dell Dimension 2400 picture

Vintage Used Computer Motherboard Dell Dimension 2400

$70.00



VINTAGE HEWLETT PACKARD HP 110 LAPTOP WITH CARRYING CASE picture

VINTAGE HEWLETT PACKARD HP 110 LAPTOP WITH CARRYING CASE

$350.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller picture

RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller

$35.00



Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board. picture

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.

$135.37



Huge Lot Vintage Computer Manuals Disc's Floppys Macopener Windows 95 & More picture

Huge Lot Vintage Computer Manuals Disc's Floppys Macopener Windows 95 & More

$140.00