If you are talking about a situation where you boot from the CD each time, then you are not going to be able to really save any changes.
Can somebody tell me what actually is the difference between saving the KNOPPIX configuration and saving the persistent home directory? I figured the /home saves all files in that directory but there are also .configuration files so why would I then need the saveconfig?
I was actually looking for a way to save some impotrant files such as /etc/passwd, /etc/inittab and so on.
I tried to look in various DOC and FAQ online but I cannot find any description of what actually is saved using these functions.
Thanks
zkosty
If you are talking about a situation where you boot from the CD each time, then you are not going to be able to really save any changes.
Wrong. You can save all you want (!)
I think that the Persistent Home Directory saves all that goes into the users Home directory, and I *think* saving the Knoppix config is files that normally goes elsewhere.
...... the saveconfig saves the config file "knoppix.sh" (which is a script and a short one on my system). (The knoppix.sh on the cdrom loads too with this att boot)
Well, after saving the config, inspecting my hard drive, I find these 2 files: knoppix.sh file of 462 bytes, and configs.tbz file of 242104 bytes. Reading the text in knoppix.sh, apparently this script only causes the system to read the larger file, configs.tbz.
My question now is, what kind of information is stored in the .tbz file?
And my original, persisting question is: can I save configuration files from the /etc directory, such as etc/passwd, etc/hosts and so on?
thank you !
zkosty

Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8
$170.99
Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00
Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00
Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$419.99
Vintage Apple computer Cross Metal Ballpoint Pen Black Ink Gold Trim
$125.00
Vintage cross Apple computer branded pen rainbow logo In original box
$100.00
Lot 14 Vintage ISA VGA Video Cards Trident CHIPS UMC 8-Bit 16-Bit 286 386 486
$199.95
Vintage RARE 1980s Apple Computer Logo Frisbee. Great shape, w/ the usual nicks
$220.00
Vintage Microsoft Office 4.2 for Windows Original Floppy Disks & Manuals 1994
$119.99
Compaq Presario 7594 Vintage Desktop PC Windows 98 SE 64MB Floppy CD-ROM
$129.00