Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: knoppix & NTFS support

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    3

    knoppix & NTFS support

    I don't have knoppix yet, but I am very interested to know does it have support for writing on NTFS partitions?


    Thanx

    KNOXX

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    35

    Re: knoppix & NTFS support

    Quote Originally Posted by knoxx
    I don't have knoppix yet, but I am very interested to know does it have support for writing on NTFS partitions?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    No, at least not safely. See the thread in this forum : http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6546#29685 about captive-ntfs. It is easy to add to a HD install of Knoppix but will require remastering the CD to get it to work with it.

    Knoppix supports NTFS "read only" nativly just fine.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    90
    You could try Linux Defnder (http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/p..._id=25&n_id=58). This live cd is based on knoppix and claims to be able to read and write on NTFS using your local ntfs.sys.

    I tried and wasn't able to get it working. Maybe you will be luckier

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1

    booting a kernel from NTFS

    Assume I have a classroom of XP boxes (w/Administrator). They have NTFS
    in one partition (C:), and I can not overwrite the disk. I want to run Linux for
    the classroom, and because the course is about kernel stuff, boot custom
    kernels.

    If it were VFAT, I could use syslinux to boot a kernel from a (writable) C:.
    I could probably also just use a partition resizer to get myself some real space.

    Assuming that I'm going to have either floppy or USB key for /home space,
    but I can't boot from that (or do not want ot depend upon being able to, due
    to BIOS issues), is there a way to boot from a Linux kernel image on the NTFS
    partition. How to get it there... well, copy to USB, reboot to NT, copy back.

    Anyone else with similar problems?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bucharest / Romania
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by mcaycedo
    I tried and wasn't able to get it working. Maybe you will be luckier
    What was the problem? What did you try to do?

Similar Threads

  1. NTFS write support
    By kidsatacrux in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 08:06 PM
  2. NTFS Write Support: Add it through Captive
    By Philibertf in forum Ideas
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-20-2005, 11:19 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 02:37 PM
  4. NTFS Support
    By 7of12 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 08:22 AM
  5. HOW-TO set NTFS Unicode support?
    By mb2263 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2003, 09:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Collector Gold Cap chip board (ME) picture

Vintage Collector Gold Cap chip board (ME)

$300.00



Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard  picture

Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard

$249.95



Dell Inspiron E1505 Vintage Laptop – Windows XP – Working picture

Dell Inspiron E1505 Vintage Laptop – Windows XP – Working

$50.00



VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED picture

VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED

$500.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Intel C1702AD White ceramic vintage collectable chip  ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

Intel C1702AD White ceramic vintage collectable chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$250.00



Vintage Gold Cap chip collector board (ME) picture

Vintage Gold Cap chip collector board (ME)

$200.00



Sylvania Smartbook SYNET07526 7

Sylvania Smartbook SYNET07526 7" Netbook WIN CE Notebook Computer Boxed Vintage

$33.77



Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s picture

Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s

$169.99



Vintage Core CL9 Master Universal Remote Control Steve Wozniak (Apple) READ picture

Vintage Core CL9 Master Universal Remote Control Steve Wozniak (Apple) READ

$988.88