Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: knoppix & USB hard drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    3

    knoppix & USB hard drive

    OK, this is the problem: My windows are f*ked up and I can't start them. My hard drive is made from just 1 partition and formatting the disk will erase date that I need. So, I thought of knoppix... I start the knoppix and than I would connect one Hard drive to USB and copy the data that I need from the first drive to this one I have on USB. And than when I backup my data I would format the first drive.

    Can this be done?

    Thanx


    knoxx

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    It can be done as long as the hard drive you have on USB is formatted in Fat32 filesystem or a linux filesystem (like ext3 or ReiserFS). Knoppix can't write to a NTFS drive, it can onlt read it.

    There is another tool called "emergency boot cd" that is designed for windows rescues (http://www.t4k.org/~ebcd/) and will write to NTFS.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    90
    Off course you can do that.

    But I have had problems coneecting USB-IDE drives to knoppix. I had one USE 1.1-IDE enclosure and wasn't able to recognize it under knoppix. I replace that case with a shiny new USB2, And the new one works perfectly under knoppix.

    If your case doesn't work, you can try to connect your spare hdd inside the box. In this case you will 100% sure thay knoppix will recognize it.

Similar Threads

  1. XF86config and knoppix on my hard drive
    By maxer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-2004, 06:02 AM
  2. Installing Knoppix on hard drive
    By Bubba in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2004, 06:19 PM
  3. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
  4. installing knoppix on hard drive
    By DimGR in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 06:39 PM
  5. Can i use knoppix of a hard drive.? Without Installing.
    By stupidkid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2003, 06:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 2.5" SATA III 3D NAND SSD MZ-76E2T0 94-100% Health

$207.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20

Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20" 1600x900 Resolution WideScreen LCD Monitor

$41.00



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280  SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC picture

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC

$34.99



Samsung Galaxy 9.6'' Tablet - E SM-T560NU - Black - 16GB Gray | For Parts picture

Samsung Galaxy 9.6'' Tablet - E SM-T560NU - Black - 16GB Gray | For Parts

$35.99