Hmm, can't see a snd-hdsp module, it might be needed..
What happens if you try:
(I don't have this card myself though so I'm only guessing)Code:insmod /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-hdsp.o
hello... you're all so fantastic with your support! anyways... the lsmod output:
Module Size Used by Not tainted
snd-pcm-oss 37540 0 (autoclean) (unused)
snd-pcm 56576 0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-timer 14824 0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm]
snd-page-alloc 4016 0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm]
mga 102456 9
autofs4 8756 1 (autoclean)
af_packet 13448 0 (autoclean)
nls_cp437 4380 0 (autoclean)
nls_iso8859-1 2876 0 (autoclean)
ntfs 51168 0 (autoclean)
msdos 4652 0 (autoclean)
snd-mixer-oss 11256 0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss]
snd 27556 0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm snd-timer snd-mixer-oss]
soundcore 3428 0 (autoclean) [snd]
agpgart 38296 3
8139too 17096 1
mii 2256 0 [8139too]
serial 52004 0 (autoclean)
usbnet 12066 0 (unused)
crc32 2832 0 [8139too usbnet]
usb-uhci 21868 0 (unused)
usbcore 57472 1 [usbnet usb-uhci]
apm 9768 2
rtc 6940 0 (autoclean)
cloop 9092 2
Hmm, can't see a snd-hdsp module, it might be needed..
What happens if you try:
(I don't have this card myself though so I'm only guessing)Code:insmod /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-hdsp.o
it responded with:
unresolved symbol snd_hammerfall_free_buffer
etc.
thanks for your help anyway!
sorry... the topic seems missing.
I did use the insmod command, but the unresolved symbol was the result. still no sound.
On my laptop I only get sound from the Yamaha onboard AG-XG module. But the Hammerfall isn't working on that one either...
Did you try loading
snd-hammerfall-mem
and then loading
snd-hdsp
A quick google search seemed to indicate that it was necessary to load the other one first.
Today I loaded 3.3-11-19-03 on my Toshiba 2805-s401. It has a Yamaha ymf-754 which I was told by sndconfig was not supported.
I had booted from CD, then used Ctrl+Alt+F1 to view the boot info, it showed my soundcard, but also the errors that the sound.o file was missing. Booting with "knoppix alsa" option did enable the sound.
But after using the knx-hdinstall script, I received errors in kde saying that /dev/dsp did not exist or was not available.
In a root shell I ran alsa_init and watched it configure the module and load it.
Now sound works, and nicely. I tested it okay in the kde-control-center.
Thanks!
Mike
I tried it on my laptop using the cardbus (PCMCIA) for the Hammerfall. runned als_init from root shell. it shows me this:
aumix: no device found
on both my dekstop (using PCI) and laptop (using PCMCIA) I can't get my RME Hammerfall to work.
I guess I am out of luck...

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD + 3TB HDD
$799.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections
$63.00